Red Sox Apologize to Marlins for "Super Premium" Price Game

OFFNY

For the first and only time this spring, the Marlins put "super premium" prices into effect to make fans pay extra to see their team's game against the Red Sox, with the presumption that the Red Sox would have at least some of their regular players competing in the game.

Red Sox G.M. Ben Cherrington apologized to Marlins President Mike Hill for sending the predominantly minor league lineup to the game.

Red Sox GM Apologizes to Marlins for Sending 'Minor League' Lineup to Grapefruit Game

(By Mike Brown)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/red-sox-gm-apologizes-to-marlins-for-sending--minor-league--lineup-to-grapefruit-game-184542911.html

ALSO:

Red Sox Cheat Roger Dean Stadium Fans with Substandard Travel Roster

(By Juan C. Rodriguez)

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-03-06/sports/sfl-marlins-red-sox-lineup-blog-20140306_1_boston-red-sox-allen-webster-miami-marlins

No sympathy for people who want to see the Sux. They got what they deserve.

I also have no sympathy for a team that charges extra for exhibition games. I don't care if it's the Yankees or the Red Sox, it's an exhibition game. It's enough that some teams (such as the Orioles) charge extra when they come to town for games that actually count.

Agree. Sorry to the Marlins fans but I'm glad this backfired on the Marlins. Make 'em think twice before pulling this crap again.

Also, as I stated, even though they (the Red Sox) sent their minor league team, the game ended in a scoreless tie ........ so, what exactly did Ben Cherrington's apology consist of ???

"Sorry that we didn't kick your asses all over the field in front of your home fans, which is exactly what would have happened if we had sent our real team there to play you. I promise that we will go out of our way to stick our collective foots up your asses whenever our clubs meet in the future, whether it be in an exhibition game that doesn't count, or in inter-league games, which do count."

Agree. Sorry to the Marlins fans but I'm glad this backfired on the Marlins. Make 'em think twice before pulling this crap again.

I'm not sure that the premium ticket prices were aimed at the Marlins fans but rather the Sox fans who come down from cold NE to see several games. If the Sox need to apologize they should probably direct it toward their own fans who most likely made up the majority of people who paid for the higher priced tickets. The Marlins GMs comments amount to Mach Ado About Nothing to me

I also have no sympathy for a team that charges extra for exhibition games. I don't care if it's the Yankees or the Red Sox, it's an exhibition game. It's enough that some teams (such as the Orioles) charge extra when they come to town for games that actually count.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/spring_training/tickets.jsp?c_id=bal

*Prime Games consist of all matchups against the Red Sox, Yankees and Phillies.

I said that I have no sympathy for teams that charge extra for exhibition games.

That includes the Orioles.

Teams almost always leave stars at home during early spring training away games. Florida isn't so big that if you want to see a teams stars you can't drive to their home stadium.

Florida is pretty big.

Arizona on the other hand, the teams are clustered together.

Archived