No seriously, where is Francisco Peguero ?

33rdst

There was an article you may remember written earlier this winter on MLB traderumors. The point of the article was that some teams are trying to uncover new efficiencies in the market by identifying relatively young players who were non-tendered or released by their former teams. These were players who may have been stuck behind mlb players. Essentially, teams are being forced to compete for these players because of the interest teams like Baltimore, Cleveland, KC and others are showing in them. In Peguero's case the O's had to give him a major league contract in order for him to agree to sign. Right or wrong the O's thought enough of him to place him on the forty man roster. It just doesn't seem logical that the team would abandon a guy like him in the middle of spring training.

I do remember it. The Orioles gave him a ML deal because they had the 40-man roster space to do it. It guaranteed getting him into the organization at the time. Now, everyone's 40-man roster is full, and everybody has guys in camp on minor league deals (like the Orioles with Aceves, Young, Gonzalez, Casilla potentially) who will need to be added to rosters by the end of camp.

The likelihood of him clearing at the end of camp is much, much greater than at any other point, when everyone is struggling to find room on their 40-man rosters.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even mentioned as an option:

It also would create a tough decision among outfielders. With Jones, Markakis, David Lough and Nelson Cruz entrenched, there is just one spot left between Steve Pearce, Nolan Reimold, Delmon Young and Henry Urrutia.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-showalter-says-hes-considering-opening-season-with-13-pitchers-12-position-players-20140310,0,2867104.story#ixzz2veZvlpEt

I do remember it. The Orioles gave him a ML deal because they had the 40-man roster space to do it. It guaranteed getting him into the organization at the time. Now, everyone's 40-man roster is full, and everybody has guys in camp on minor league deals (like the Orioles with Aceves, Young, Gonzalez, Casilla potentially) who will need to be added to rosters by the end of camp.

The likelihood of him clearing at the end of camp is much, much greater than at any other point, when everyone is struggling to find room on their 40-man rosters.

I agree the likelihood of him clearing waivers is much higher now. My point is why would the O's invest the time, money and roster spot on the guy and suddenly put him on ice,no pun intended, in the middle of spring training and play their minor league invitees instead. Something has to be wrong here.

That's all possible. But you'd think he'd want to at least get him some work. I posted the TFH pic but I meant the opposite. There does seem to be something fishy about this. For sure.

Could it be an injury that the player wants kept quite? Maybe an illness he wants

kept out of the press? This is only speculation.

Roch's blog this morning, entitled this, that, and the other, mentions everything but the kitchen sink. But no Francisco. His blog comments a pretty hilarious. Most of which have to do with the whereabouts of Peguero.

I agree the likelihood of him clearing waivers is much higher now. My point is why would the O's invest the time, money and roster spot on the guy and suddenly put him on ice,no pun intended, in the middle of spring training and play their minor league invitees instead. Something has to be wrong here.

Depends on what guys you are talking about. Reimold, Pearce, Young, Urrutia, Paul were always going to be ahead of Peguero imo. I don't know how much time they invested, but it was not a lot of money, and like I said- they invested the roster spot because they could.

Not even mentioned as an option:

It also would create a tough decision among outfielders. With Jones, Markakis, David Lough and Nelson Cruz entrenched, there is just one spot left between Steve Pearce, Nolan Reimold, Delmon Young and Henry Urrutia.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-showalter-says-hes-considering-opening-season-with-13-pitchers-12-position-players-20140310,0,2867104.story#ixzz2veZvlpEt

This says it all. Encino mentions virtually everyone on the roster but Francisco. Let's hope it's not a personal tragedy.

When Peguero signed, I thought he had an OK shot to be the 4th OF and maybe get a shot at the LF job.

When they traded for Lough, that took a hit.

When they signed Berry, Paul, Young, etc to MiL deals, that took a hit.

When he got to camp, I though his chances were probably less than 25%. Then we signed Cruz.

I think any realistic shot at the roster went out the window at that point. There are only so many roster spots, and there just isn't one for him. I certainly hope that everything is ok with him personally behind the scenes, but he wasn't making the team either way.

When Peguero signed, I thought he had an OK shot to be the 4th OF and maybe get a shot at the LF job.

When they traded for Lough, that took a hit.

When they signed Berry, Paul, Young, etc to MiL deals, that took a hit.

When he got to camp, I though his chances were probably less than 25%. Then we signed Cruz.

I think any realistic shot at the roster went out the window at that point. There are only so many roster spots, and there just isn't one for him. I certainly hope that everything is ok with him personally behind the scenes, but he wasn't making the team either way.

You make good points about his capability and his current status on the roster but I think you're missing the point. The dialog is not about Peguero's roster statusat this point, it is about his whereabouts and why none of the sports writers have picked up on this. There are two very lengthy articles,this morning, Roch's blog, and Encino's from the Sun, about the roster. Virtually all candidates for spots are mentioned. But no mention whatsoever of Peguero.

I think he possibly could have been abducted by aliens from planet Melmak and forced to eat a diet of cats and cat treats. They used him for experiment to figure out why humans would ever watch current TV programming such as The Bing Bang Theory, The Voice or Duck Dynasty.

Just speculation though....5021f296a6bf5.image.jpg

You make good points about his capability and his current status on the roster but I think you're missing the point. The dialog is not about Peguero's roster statusat this point, it is about his whereabouts and why none of the sports writers have picked up on this. There are two very lengthy articles,this morning, Roch's blog, and Encino's from the Sun, about the roster. Virtually all candidates for spots are mentioned. But no mention whatsoever of Peguero.

Maybe. He's been off the travel roster for 3 days (4 if he is not listed today). I guess that is interesting.

Archived