Schmuck: After free-agent frenzy, it's time for Orioles to extend core players

Tony-OH

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the numbers obviously. My own speculation would be that the deals it would take to sign them wouldn't be in the best interests of the club, especially Davis because of the outrageous number I assume he and Boras would require.

For me it's Davis, then Hardy, then Machado.

Davis is a clear priority. Hardy is ahead of Machado only because his contract situation has time sensitivities. I also wouldn't be in a rush to extend Machado soon after him going public about his disapproval of the MLB pay structure. It's not that I want to punish him for his comments, but I certainly wouldn't want to reward him for them either. But after some time has passed, it would be wise to open that dialog.

By the way, I think it's funny that we basically don't even mention Wieters anymore. I think collectively, we are all pretty much ok with him being way down on the priority list. That'll change if he hits this year, but I think he is what he is at this point. And you don't hear him say the things Machado and Davis say about wanting to stay here.

Matt has said he wants to stay here:

Catcher Matt Wieters wants to work out a long-term contract extension with the Orioles, though he is not eligible for free agency until after the 2016 season. One source said Wieters wants to stay in Baltimore badly enough that he has asked agent Scott Boras to eschew his strategy of taking his players to free agency and instead striking a deal with the Orioles—a situation similar to that of Angels right-hander Jered Weaver and the Angels in 2011.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/2/7/3965000/baltimore-orioles-matt-wieters-contract-extension-rumor

Yeah, he has, but it's been more like "I'm open to it" because it's his duty to be open to anyone offering him money. But I haven't heard him say "I love this organization" or "I want to be an Oriole my whole career".

I agree. that's how i see it.

Yeah, he has, but it's been more like "I'm open to it" because it's his duty to be open to anyone offering him money. But I haven't heard him say "I love this organization" or "I want to be an Oriole my whole career".

Sorry Dan, I have to disagree, when you want something, and you get Boras to change his normal tactics about skipping the free agency market.

Also, look at this quote:

“I think every player’s dream is to be able to win championships and be able to stay with a team for your whole career,

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/matt_wieters_would_love_to_stay_with_baltimore_orioles_long_term/15975709

It's not his duty to stay here, it's his desire, at least IMO

We gotta extend Davis. Even if it takes 20-22 mil a year, we should do it. We've clearly shown with our interest in Santana that we can support a 115 million dollar payroll... so there shouldn't be an issue signing Davis, especially with Markakis' big contract coming off the books soon.

For Hardy, we should talk to him but Davis takes priority. Manny we can deal with down the line.

By the way, I think it's funny that we basically don't even mention Wieters anymore. I think collectively, we are all pretty much ok with him being way down on the priority list. That'll change if he hits this year, but I think he is what he is at this point. And you don't hear him say the things Machado and Davis say about wanting to stay here.

Extending Wieters is not a priority for me, in fact, I would be against anything but a seriously discounted deal for a year or two after his free agency at most. I'm ok playing that situation out and see where he is at that point in his career.

We gotta extend Davis. Even if it takes 20-22 mil a year, we should do it. We've clearly shown with our interest in Santana that we can support a 115 million dollar payroll... so there shouldn't be an issue signing Davis, especially with Markakis' big contract coming off the books soon.

For Hardy, we should talk to him but Davis takes priority. Manny we can deal with down the line.

Yeah, that's fine for 5-6 years. Unfortunately, I think it takes 10 right now. Is everyone on board with a 10/200+ extension for a guy with one year of production worthy of that salary under his belt? Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeria, Albert Pujols don't scare anyone else? Mega deals like its probably going to take rarely work out well.

Priorities: Davis, Hardy, Machado, Wieters.

I think MW gets a bad reputation here because he's not as open and friendly with the media and fans as maybe Davis, Jones, Machado, and Hardy seem to be on camera. Who really knows what he's thinking personally. All we have to go on, which is still substantial evidence, is Boras' track record with taking his clients to free agency. I am with the group that thinks that if a player wants to work out a deal, he has the power to tell Boras to make it happen.

Quick question though. Why do we never talk about Tillman as an extension-worthy player? Is he still three years from FA? It seems like he's been here for a long time, but I guess it's possible that with all of his time in the minors, his service clock is way behind.

Yeah, that's fine for 5-6 years. Unfortunately, I think it takes 10 right now. Is everyone on board with a 10/200+ extension for a guy with one year of production worthy of that salary under his belt? Ryan Howard, Mark Teixeria, Albert Pujols don't scare anyone else? Mega deals like its probably going to take rarely work out well.

Albert Pujols is the only of those three to have a ten year contract. I think we can get something less than 10 years for Davis.

Priorities: Davis, Hardy, Machado, Wieters.

I think MW gets a bad reputation here because he's not as open and friendly with the media and fans as maybe Davis, Jones, Machado, and Hardy seem to be on camera. Who really knows what he's thinking personally. All we have to go on, which is still substantial evidence, is Boras' track record with taking his clients to free agency. I am with the group that thinks that if a player wants to work out a deal, he has the power to tell Boras to make it happen.

Quick question though. Why do we never talk about Tillman as an extension-worthy player? Is he still three years from FA? It seems like he's been here for a long time, but I guess it's possible that with all of his time in the minors, his service clock is way behind.

Good point on Tillman. He is Arb eligible next season I believe. He is eligible for FA 2018 (source: BB-ref).

Albert Pujols is the only of those three to have a ten year contract. I think we can get something less than 10 years for Davis.

Even still, 10 right now is better than 10 in two years from now. I think 8-10 years is actually fairly reasonable if 2014 is one of those years.

Archived