Orioles, Rays and Mets all talking to Mariners about Nick Franklin

Greg

Don't want him.

I'd rather keep our pitching prospects and continue grooming schoop.

Is franklin really a can't miss/sure thing?

Because if there's any doubt, let's just stick with schoop and flaherty.

As others in this thread have said, he is basically about as good a prospect as Schoop; but he's about a half-season ahead on the experience/development curve. So, for the next 4 years would you rather see:

2B Flaherty/Schoop

SS Hardy

3B Machado

or

2B Franklin

SS Machado

3B Flaherty/Schoop

There are a lot of factors in that equation. Is Franklin better or worse defensively at 2B than Schoop? How good defensively is Manny at SS? How good is Schoop defensively at 3B? How much will Hardy decline at ages 31-34 and what will he cost? Will Franklin outhit Hardy as he matures and Hardy ages? If the O's sign Hardy will that prevent them from retaining other valued players?

I think the first alignment is highly likely to be better in 2014; after that, it's unclear. And of course, if Hardy is here for 2014 you'd keep Manny at 3B for the year, keep Schoop in the minors a bit longer to get more time at 3B and use Franklin/Flaherty at 2B this year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine DD giving up a top pitching prospect for a player

that plays a position where we are already relatively

deep. Probably only interested if they can get him

for some combination that includes players out of options

and lower level prospects, which of course means we won't

get him.

Don't want him.

I'd rather keep our pitching prospects and continue grooming schoop.

Is franklin really a can't miss/sure thing?

Because if there's any doubt, let's just stick with schoop and flaherty.

My question is this. If this were a true thing would the M's have spent what they did on Cano or would they have used that money in an area of greater need?

But why give up ERod for someone like Schoop? Sorry, but

trade would make no sense to me. IMO

There does not appear to be a lot of difference between the value of ERod, Schoop and Franklin in the eyes of scouts.

Franklin: Ranked 79 by BA prior to 2013, 72 by BP, 47 by MLB.com

Schoop: Ranked 82 by BP prior to 2014, was ranked 82 by BA prior to 2012

ERod: Ranked 65 by BA prior to 2014, 61 by BP, 85 by MLB.com

I mean, ERod might be considered a smidge higher, but the difference isn't drastic. And Franklin is major league ready while ERod is at least a year away.

My question is this. If this were a true thing would the M's have spent what they did on Cano or would they have used that money in an area of greater need?

Cano is a legit superstar, I don't think we should read too much into this. It's not as if this guy was a Manny Machado-level prospect within the M's system. I don't think he's can't miss or a sure thing. He's still a legit prospect (or was a legit prospect) with potential, though, but now he's blocked and he hasn't been amazing in his rookie season. Maybe that means we can get him for a bit less than we would have otherwise.

It would be ideal if we could get Franklin from the M's for a few guys who are out of options, something like a package of Britton and whoever loses the battle between Pearce, Young, Reimold and Peguero, but I think obtaining a top prospect for discarded scraps is unlikely.

Then again, we have a history of fleecing the Mariners when it comes to trades...

Guess what's twice as good as having one high end infield prospect?

TWO high end infield prospects!

I do not know what to trade for him, but this is a great guy to get in the system if we match up trade wise.

I do not think trading for him has any immediate impact on Hardy. Weeks and Flaherty maybe and he gives Schoop some competition, but acquiring Franklin is a long term gain more then a 2014 gain.

It would be ideal if we could get Franklin from the M's for a few guys who are out of options, something like a package of Britton and whoever loses the battle between Pearce, Young, Reimold and Peguero, but I think obtaining a top prospect for discarded scraps is unlikely.

Then again, we have a history of fleecing the Mariners when it comes to trades...

Britton is a great starting point. He might be enough to keep EdRod. Who is next on a pitching prospect list? Berry?

Is Britton and Berry too much?

EdRod has more upside than Franklin, Franklin is major league ready and likely has a much higher floor. They're roughly equivalent in overall trade value and it just depends on your taste for those qualities in prospects.

If we can get Franklin for anything less than EdRod I would be ecstatic. There's a chance we could, but I wouldn't count on it. The best prospect below the EdRod/Harvey tier is probably Wright, and he just went down with the dreaded elbow /forearm tendonitis that sounds like TJS in the making. I don't think we have the chips to get Franklin without parting with EdRod, unless the Mariners are really interested in Norris, Britton, or Matusz in addition with some lower level prospects.

A month ago I would have traded Britton for a bag of peanuts, but after seeing him this spring, I would think very, very carefully before trading him.

I'd love for Britton to make the team but he doesn't have any options so trading him for something useful now may be smarter then losing him to waivers later.

If this is a move for the future and to provide protection in case they can't or decide not to come to an agreement with Hardy on an extension, Franklin has at least one option remaining and could play 2B with Schoop at 3B in Norfolk. From what I've ready, Franklin is average at SS with the potential to be solid at 2B as well. Just has less experience there prior to last year. If we could do this for Britton or Matusz I'd be fine with it. The other lefty would be available for the pen with De La Cruz and eventually Patton, if they decide not to cut bait with him.

Archived