Jarrod Parker needs Tommy John surgery again.

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jarrod Parker needs Tommy John surgery again.</p>— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) <a href="

">March 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Have some guys been overconfident in the surgery/results, then overdo it, necessitating a second surgery?

It could have to do with the overall increase in velocity the past few years.

Or maybe it is the lack of steroids and HGH.

There was a report on that very topic at last years SABR conference.

Have some guys been overconfident in the surgery/results, then overdo it, necessitating a second surgery?

Like Frobby said, i think that overuse probably plays a part in some way. This is one of the reasons that I agreed with the Nationals decision to limit

Strasburg's innings after his surgery acoule of years ago.. IMO, the other reason we see repeat surgeries is that most of these pitchers use the same mechanics after the initial surgery. If they are throwing 93-97 mph with touchy mechanics before the first surgery, they are most like going to use the same mechanics afterwards so that they can throw as hard if not harder.

Like Frobby said, i think that overuse probably plays a part in some way. This is one of the reasons that I agreed with the Nationals decision to limit

Strasburg's innings after his surgery acoule of years ago.. IMO, the other reason we see repeat surgeries is that most of these pitchers use the same mechanics after the initial surgery. If they are throwing 93-97 mph with touchy mechanics before the first surgery, they are most like going to use the same mechanics afterwards so that they can throw as hard if not harder.

Which is extra short sighted when you think that while recovering from TJ is the best time to rebuild someone's delivery.

Which is extra short sighted when you think that while recovering from TJ is the best time to rebuild someone's delivery.

I agree, but the problem is that if you rebuilt the mechanics, these guys may not come back throwing as hard. Further, it's eaiser to tweak someone's delivery rather than rebuild their delivery because of the muscle memory that is involved.

I wonder if economics plays a factor? Just get them through the six years of team control then who cares if the elbow blows out again? The problem is, they are not even making it through the six years.

I think that it is most likely is a factor as well.

If you get them through the six years any surgery that they may have to have may very well be another team's issue.

Several young pitchers are having issues early in their MLB careers. I'm sure that pitches thrown at the high school, college, and upper level summer leagues plays a big factor as well. The TJ surgery being almost routine is a double edged sword IMO. It's good that these guys ussually miss a season and are able to come back in pretty much peak form. It's bad that the surgery is a cure all to the underlying problems of poor mechanics, overuse, and economics.

I think that it is most likely is a factor as well.

If you get them through the six years any surgery that they may have to have may very well be another team's issue.

Several young pitchers are having issues early in their MLB careers. I'm sure that pitches thrown at the high school, college, and upper level summer leagues plays a big factor as well. The TJ surgery being almost routine is a double edged sword IMO. It's good that these guys ussually miss a season and are able to come back in pretty much peak form. It's bad that the surgery is a cure all to the underlying problems of poor mechanics, overuse, and economics.

And the odds of a full recovery from a second surgery are no where near as good.

And the odds of a full recovery from a second surgery are no where near as good.

I think that this is where the economics comes into it CoC.

In the Orioles case, I'm sure the hope is that Bundy can recover and give the team at least six years of service time.

if he has to have surgery again in three or four years, that's another year of recovery and another year that he is unavailable.

In this scenario, if he is able to come back after the second surgery, he may likely leave as a free agent and benefit another club if he is able to come back.

I think that this is where the economics comes into it CoC.

In the Orioles case, I'm sure the hope is that Bundy can recover and give the team at least six years of service time.

if he has to have surgery again in three or four years, that's another year of recovery and another year that he is unavailable.

In this scenario, if he is able to come back after the second surgery, he may likely leave as a free agent and benefit another club if he is able to come back.

At least the O's only lost an option year with Bundy, not a year of team control.

I wonder if the need for 2nd surgery is because how long these guys are when they get the surgery.

When this first surgery came on the scene, guys were lucky to think about having six years left in the tank, after 18 months of rehab after the surgery.

Now, the guys are so much younger.

This isn't fact that I seen printed somewhere, just something I was thinking about.

Archived