Michael Almanzar

weams

Being sent back? Everyone seems to think so and most here advise so.

He looks every bit the uber prospect in person. But then so did Jai Miller

Almanzar.

Almanzar is 6-for-28 with three doubles and a home run, and his seven RBIs are tied for second on the club behind Chris Davis.

628x471.jpg

Is there a way to keep him? Should we try?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. I think that DD loves keeping rule 5 guys. Maybe Buck and Dan can compromise.

dan: "Buck, I tell you what... I'll trade for Taylor Teagarden if you keep Almanzar on the roster to start the season".

I wouldn't mind having Almanzar in the system, but I don't think he should be on the 25 man roster at the expense of a player that may help us win now. I'd rather have a guy like Pearce or Young that has proven to be able to hit Major League pitching.

I wouldn't mind having Almanzar in the system, but I don't think he should be on the 25 man roster at the expense of a player that may help us win now. I'd rather have a guy like Pearce or Young that has proven to be able to hit Major League pitching.

Someone needs to tell Young to start hitting, .222 isn't getting him on the roster.

Someone needs to tell Young to start hitting, .222 isn't getting him on the roster.

I'm not sure that the spring training small sample size is enough to get a read on Young. The guy has a lifetime .812 OPS vs. LHP. If it comes down to him and Pearce, I think Pearce may win out because I think he offers a little more flexibility.

I'm not sure that the spring training small sample size is enough to get a read on Young. The guy has a lifetime .812 OPS vs. LHP. If it comes down to him and Pearce, I think Pearce may win out because I think he offers a little more flexibility.

True, ST is a small sample size, but when you have so many competing for so few spots, hard to juggle expectation and results.

Like Frobby said, leave it for Duke and Buck to sort out. :)

Ideally, we could work out a deal with the Red Sox so that we can give them a player in exchange for keeping Almanzar long-term. But, as someone said in another thread, I'm sure our division rivals won't do us any favors.

A few weeks ago, I would've considered killing two birds with one stone by trading Britton for him. But, now, I think that would be an overpay.

Being sent back? Everyone seems to think so and most here advise so.

He looks every bit the uber prospect in person. But then so did Jai Miller

Almanzar.

628x471.jpg

Is there a way to keep him? Should we try?

Sidebar - this picture shows textbook throwing motion for little leaguers!

Almanzar, Reimold, Pearce, Young, Peguero all fighting for a spot or two depending on whether Buck keeps 13 pitchers.

This next 10 days is when ST matters. The better pitchers will be going longer. The relievers that are making the team need to get their innings. So the pitching gets better. Now we see who can hit it.

I want the guy(s) that can hit major league pitching to make the team. If that is Almanzar, fine. If not, send him back.

Roch seems to think Almanzar won't be on the roster:

If Machado isn't at third base, don't look for Rule 5 pick Michael Almanzar to keep the position warm for him. The Orioles don't seem to project him as a potential replacement. And if that's the case, I'm not sure how he makes the team as an extra right-handed bat. He's grabbed a few innings at first base, but he'd pretty much have to serve as a right-handed designated hitter, and the Orioles are already loaded with them.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/03/offering-a-few-thoughts-on-the-off-day.html

Archived