Michael Almanzar

weams

If this is 5 years ago on a bad Os team, then sure try to keep him. But not on this "win now" team...need to absolutely go north with the best 25.

He didn't look ready at Saturday's game against the Yankees when we saw him...but it was just two bad at bats...He's huge though!!!

He is a big guy. And he hits them out in batting practice.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This seems like a DD thing. He makes the roster and we keep him all year. Giving him a year to get better at the Major league level. We then let Hardy walk and move Machado to short. Almanzar is our starting 3rd baseman in 2015.

Interesting scenario, for sure. I'd like to know how he's looked at third base, though.

This seems like a DD thing. He makes the roster and we keep him all year. Giving him a year to get better at the Major league level. We then let Hardy walk and move Machado to short. Almanzar is our starting 3rd baseman in 2015.
Over Schoop?

I should hope not.

Yep, no way. More likely if they decide to keep him that he goes back to Norfolk the following year to further refine his skills.

I feel a SG auto-response coming on. :D

Not on Baseball America's top 30 prospect list either of the last 2 years. Strange. He'd be a nice prospect to have in the system...

You continue making this reference to top 30 prospects, but neither were Flaherty or Mac. I don't think that fits into Dan's criteria for a Rule 5 guy. More like a diamond in the rough.

You continue making this reference to top 30 prospects, but neither were Flaherty or Mac. I don't think that fits into Dan's criteria for a Rule 5 guy. More like a diamond in the rough.

I am normally more okay with this and as the big guys get more money, more GMs will be doing this.

But, for rule V guys that take up a roster place and not quite ready for primetime, isn't cool for a playoff driven team. IMO.

I am normally more okay with this and as the big guys get more money, more GMs will be doing this.

But, for rule V guys that take up a roster place and not quite ready for primetime, isn't cool for a playoff driven team. IMO.

Meh, depends on what you are giving up to keep him on the team. A PR? How many wins is that worth. If we go with a three man bench then he would have to be the RH DH in order to keep him. What's his value v Pearce's? Difference between making the playoffs or not? His Value v an extra RP?. V a 4th OF/PR?

I keep making the reference because Flaherty was a top 30 Cub's prospect and McFarland was a top 30 Indians prospect. A diamond in the rough should be in a team's top 30.

Ok, I thought you were referring to top 100 in the country which obviously carries more weight, although these rankings are questionable at times.

And again, it's not my feeling he should be on the team, I was trying to get behind what the teams thinking may be if they keep him around.

Ideally, we could work out a deal with the Red Sox so that we can give them a player in exchange for keeping Almanzar long-term. But, as someone said in another thread, I'm sure our division rivals won't do us any favors.

That was me. This is where I had to invoke SG. I think we'd need a third team. We give up one the relief pitchers that we stand to lose in the roster crunch (or a non-pitcher like Peguero for that matter). We get to keep Almanzar. The third team fills in the gaps. Seems about even on our side.

That was me. This is where I had to invoke SG. I think we'd need a third team. We give up one the relief pitchers that we stand to lose in the roster crunch (or a non-pitcher like Peguero for that matter). We get to keep Almanzar. The third team fills in the gaps. Seems about even on our side.

I like Peguero more than I do Almanzar, but good idea.

Not on Baseball America's top 30 prospect list either of the last 2 years. Strange. He'd be a nice prospect to have in the system but he doesn't have any wow factor for me. Of course, I predicted that Chris Davis would not make it through the season, two years ago.

I just keep thinking Joey Bats when I watch this guy. It would be great to be able to keep him somehow.

Our success or failure will be related much, much more to the performance of our pitching staff. Keeping this guy for his future potential vs. the other bench options we currently have will have little overall impact on this year's playoff drive, imho. I would like to see him kept, but that is just me.

Archived