Michael Almanzar

weams

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Division rivals, they are not going to want us to stock pile a potential prospect that will come back and bite them in the tail.

IMO

Maybe... I'm not sure he's really much of a prospect, though. He's not even among our top-20 prospects and would be lower on Boston's list. But, if that's the way they feel, they can have him back. That's a better alternative than trying to carry him on the 25-man roster for even a small portion of the season.

Maybe... I'm not sure he's really much of a prospect, though. He's not even among our top-20 prospects and would be lower on Boston's list. But, if that's the way they feel, they can have him back. That's a better alternative than trying to carry him on the 25-man roster for even a small portion of the season.

I must be confused, I thought the parent club could put the rule five guy back into their minor league system.

Which I believe Buck said that in an interview, if he is good enough to help the team, then he stays, but they are not going to take up a roster spot for him to keep him here.

Ain't no way in heck, Boston is going to work out a reasonable deal.

It is not even a sure thing that e would have an opportunity to work something out. He has to clear waivers before we even have that as an option. To a team that has no chance this year he might be attractive if their are scouts out there that like his upside. So unless the O's are on alone in their love of Almanzar we may never even get a chance to work something out with Boston.

People that want to keep him: do you see him bring a starter long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a good enough chance to be a starter that it would be great to keep him.

But he has to be good enough right now to warrant the roster spot. This, we do not yet know.

I posted this in another thread but I think it is pertinent here.

I would love to keep him. It just seems harder to keep him in the 25th spot than it was with Flaherty and McFarland. Flaherty was at least a glove that had value in a utility role, as well as a LH bat off the bench. McFarland ate up garbage innings for 5 months (which has real value in itself) and then pitched meanful innings in September. I don't see Almanzar being able to add value like those 2 did. I don't see how he can be a useful pinch hitter - it's the usual catch-22; without regular at-bats how can his bat develop or even maintain itself? He clearly doesn't add value as a glove. He's not going to see regular at-bats as a DH unless you're talking about keeping him INSTEAD of Pearce/Young/Reimold. I don't see that happening.

So they could stash him in the 25-spot, but it will be harder than in the past 2 years just because he will provide less value from that spot. Then of course there's the issue of losing other assets in order to keep him, which wasn't an issue either of the past 2 years, and there's the issue that we are in a more competitive position this year to go for the gold.

I hope we can work out a trade to allow us to send him down. If Boston won't do something straight up maybe we can get a third team involved.

And I am hoping he has a full recovery, that takes 6 months.:D
Rule 5 Draft draftees must stay on the MLB roster all season. If they go to the DL, they must be active for at least 90 days — so if the draftee misses a whole season, they must be on the active roster for 90 days the following season to satisfy the Rule 5 Draft requirements.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/rule-5-draft/

Almanzar has Patellar Tendinitis. He will start the season on the DL it appears.

I think a lot of people missed the MRI info yesterday. I saw many posters had him on the roster OD and couldn't figure out why.

Any idea the recovery time on this all joking aside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived