I Admit I Have Not Been Active Lately On OH and It is My Fault But.....

Old#5fan

Somehow I missed that Jason Hamill signed a one year deal with the Cubs. I usually read the Baltimore Sun on-line most days and don't recall seeing anything about this. I just went back through 17 pages of OH threads and didn't see anything on it either. I am a bit surprised that the Orioles could afford to lose Hamill, who I believe when healthy would be their best starter other than Tillman. Was anybody here upset over this. I confess, I find it rather unsettling and I am disappointed over losing Jason...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/indians-orioles-have-shown-interest-in-jason-hammel.html

The O's did have interest, but in an incentive laden deal. As brianod pointed out, it sounds like the O's and according to the article above, the Indians, were scared off by the rising cost of the asking price and the recent injuries. The O's replaced Feldman and Hammel with Jimenez, Yoon, and Yohan Santana. I am good with that.

I was not sorry to see Marty Feldman go but I think they made a mistake with Jason. He was a tough nosed competitor who was down last year only because of injury. I just see the Achilles heel once again for this team as lack of enough top shelf starting pitching.

No one has said it yet, so, uh... Ubaldo Jimenez. There.

Also:

Suk-min Yoon

Johan Santana

Kevin Gausman

Zach Britton

Steve Johnson

The Orioles would need to have signed him to a Major League deal, and he just wouldn't fit in as the roster is currently constructed. Maybe as mid-season depth, but we have Johan Santana, and possibly Suk-min Yoon for that.

And also, I agree Hammel is a good pitcher when healthy, but health is the question. The Orioles went out to address that by adding a starter in Jimenez who averages close to 200 IP a season. We can't really afford to pay Hammel $6m at the ML level and just hope he's healthy for the whole season. With the depth we have right now, I'd say we're in pretty good shape, much better than if we'd, say, signed Hammel instead of Jimenez.

I will not be the least bit surprised that if Hammel stays healthy he out pitches every Orioles starter other than maybe Tillman

Not gonna happen my old friend ;)

Hammel's best success came with a knee injury that I believe altered his delivery ...ability to over throw etc...once the knee was repaired Hammel returned to his old mediocre self.

I'll bet ya he's not the 4th best pitcher on this staff.

Wow. I can't understand how you can't see Jiminez as a massive upgrade over Feldman or Hammel. I was afrad at the beginning of the offseason that Feldman or Hammel resigning would be our "big" acquisition. Jiminez will give the O's 200+ innings if healthy and along with Tillman give us 2 starters that can match up w/ the best of the AL, except for probably Detroit. I like our starting pitching depth too. Chen and Gonzalez probably won't make it thru the season w/o DL/missed starts. Good to have a competitive group competing to replace a starter if he goes down.

Archived