Quietly, Steve Johnson has had a nice spring

Frobby

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K's. He has the misfortune of having options, but I have a feeling he'll spend some time in Bsltimore this year.

He is a strike out machine when healthy. I still think he is a closing option ;)

I agree. He had some great moments as part of the 2012 team. I could see him being quite attractive to a team that has an opening in their rotation though. He's cheap, has the potential to be a MOR starter, and has a floor of being a cheap solid reliever. I guess it's more likely that we trade one of our arms that is out of options though.

He is a strike out machine when healthy. I still think he is a closing option ;)

Never really considered this. Quite interesting. Hopefully, Tommy "Big Game" Hunter is lights out though and we don't need to change things up.

Right now Steve Johnson looks like the #2 starter at AAA behind Gausman. Last year Chen and Gonzalez went down at the same time and Hammel was ineffective. I'm not saying that Steve comes up and is a starter because Gausman, Britton and Matusz seem ahead of him but Steve should see some time in the majors this year and he will be stretched out. He looks ready for it.

It's probably best for the development of both Johnson and MacFarland to spend time starting in AAA while they still have options. But I definitely think that they are both capable relievers and will be called upon when we burn through our pen, and wouldn't be opposed to having either of them on the ML roster to start the season.

Stinson has presented himself as a good long relief option and will probably win that job. But I think there is a good chance that one player with options, like Brach or Weeks, will make the roster so that we can shuffle them with Johnson or Macfarland when we need a fresh arm in the pen.

Ive ALWAYS been a huge Steve Johnson fan. I hope the Orioles DONT trade him. He wasn't healthy

last year, but when he is he is deceptive and hard to pick up when he goes into his motion. I would

DEFINITELY consider him as an option. I wouldn't let him get away.

We both agree on this. Steve is a cool customer.

Ive ALWAYS been a huge Steve Johnson fan. I hope the Orioles DONT trade him. He wasn't healthy

last year, but when he is he is deceptive and hard to pick up when he goes into his motion. I would

DEFINITELY consider him as an option. I wouldn't let him get away.

Yes....I too am concerned about him being dealt. However, I'll continue to keep my mouth shut & let the regime make decisions. I defer to the Buck & Duq brain trust.

At least five starting pitchers are going to miss this season and next because of TJ surgery.

You never ever know when one of your own arms are going to go lame.

Last year, we had to do two mid-season trades to supplement the SP.

This year, the arms are better and this makes the depth better.

So you stock pile them.

At least five starting pitchers are going to miss this season and next because of TJ surgery.

You never ever know when one of your own arms are going to go lame.

Last year, we had to do two mid-season trades to supplement the SP.

This year, the arms are better and this makes the depth better.

So you stock pile them.

Smart guy that Redskins Rick.

Exactly. So why would we trade him when probably our biggest need is pitching? Are you going to get a better pitcher in return for Steve? No. So... makes no sense to trade him when he's a great depth option on a team that is trying to go for it.
Always need pitching, but we also need catchers, 1B, and other position players. Not saying we can't use Johnson, just that we have other options like him, Britton, Gausman, Yoon, McFarland, Stinson, Santana, and he is of more use to us stretched out in Norfolk than in the pen.

Archived