Schmuck: The Orioles need to be bold and turn 2B job over to Schoop

Roll Tide

I respect Schmuck's career, and I find him extremely funny sometimes. But this is why I never read his stuff, not seriously anyways. He's reactionary and usually spouting the lowest common denominator of fan's opinion. He's almost yellow journalism.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Picking up Adams may be a sign that not only are the sending Schoop to Norfolk they are sending Weeks down too. Then when Manny comes back the can option Adams as well Keeping AGonz as the UTIF.

This is what I was thinking when I first saw this, but much better articulated. So I almanzar basically guaranteed to return to the sux?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a lot of heat for wanting him. He's gonna have a huge year for us.

I was very against signing him. I was very wrong. He fitting in very well, seems like a great teammate, and hitting! (I never doubted the hitting part.)

He's almost yellow journalism.

And it gets Peter a following.

He's more like a casual fan as a reporter than the serious folks who do more of the day to day reporting. But Peter can sniff out a rotten story with the best of them. But when he can't, I think he makes one up. As they say in the newspaper business, "blood sells papers."

I love how these guys only tell you one side of the story when they have an agenda.

Hey Schmuck! Can you at least mention the 11 strikeouts in 33 AB's?

I am not trying to be funny, but can someone explain to me why a strikeout is so much worse than any other out? How many batted balls lead to a base runner that would otherwise not be there? If a guy hits .300 with 40 bombs every year does it matter that he K's 200 times? I like seeing good hitters move guys around the bases without a hit, but I see really good players fail at this at a high level.

I am not trying to be funny, but can someone explain to me why a strikeout is so much worse than any other out? How many batted balls lead to a base runner that would otherwise not be there? If a guy hits .300 with 40 bombs every year does it matter that he K's 200 times? I like seeing good hitters move guys around the bases without a hit, but I see really good players fail at this at a high level.

It matters because it is nigh impossible to hit .300 with 40 bombs and strike out 200 times. Assuming 550 at-bats, it means you would have to have a .471 batting average on balls in play to hit .300.

I would rather see the O's role with Schoop than Flaherty, Adams, Casilla, or Weeks. Just to make a point.

Ryan Howard-20

Alex Avila-18

Corey Hart-18

BJ Upton-16

Dan Uggla-15

Joey Votto-15

Brandon Belt-14

Billy Butler-14

Hunter Pence-14

Colby Rasmus-12

Cespedes-11

Choo-11

Donaldson-11

Encarnacion-11

Fielder-11

Those are some good players with 11 k's thus far. Schoop OBP this Spring is .432 as well. Not sure how we should be giving Schmuck a hard time about this one. I agree that Schoop gives the Orioles the best chance at a better than average or better season at second. If the O's are going all in then Schoop should get the job. The Orioles sending him down to start the season may be as much about saving some cash in the long term as well.

On several levels strikeouts are worse than other outs, but at this point they were only talking about the indicator that high strikeout rates portend in young batters. That do not have 40 home run power.

The strikeouts are an indication of holes in his swing that will be exploited by experienced ML pitchers. The kind he is not facing in ST.

It matters because it is nigh impossible to hit .300 with 40 bombs and strike out 200 times. Assuming 550 at-bats, it means you would have to have a .471 batting average on balls in play to hit .300.

I get that and was just throwing it out there. Schoop struck out 103 times in 2012. That is over 555 at bats, his average was low (.245), but his OBP was .324. Nothing we see from Schoop would lead me to think he would strikeout more than 150 times this season. Flaherty hit .216 in 2012 and .224 in 2013. He struckout over 103 times in just under 400 at bats so it is not like Schoop would be replacing a lot of production.

Picking up Adams may be a sign that not only are the sending Schoop to Norfolk they are sending Weeks down too. Then when Manny comes back the can option Adams as well Keeping AGonz as the UTIF.

Alex Gonzalez is 37, hit .177/.203/.230 last year 118 PA, and has no experience playing 2B. Outside of a 89 PA stint in2012, he hasn't been a major league hitter since 2010. I think acquiring Adams is much more likely a move meant to replace Gonzalez, and Gonzalez won't make the ML roster at all.

The strikeouts are an indication of holes in his swing that will be exploited by experienced ML pitchers. The kind he is not facing in ST.

I disagree with this assumption. What pitchers is he facing that other batters (who are striking out) are not facing? Hard to look at 11 k's and assume there is a hole in someone's swing. If the Orioles had Cano (or any true upgrade over the lot of guys they run out) at second I would say that you send Schoop down. If you want to win this season than Schoop can contribute IMO.

On several levels strikeouts are worse than other outs, but at this point they were only talking about the indicator that high strike out rate rates portend in young batters. That do not have 40 home run power.

This may be true to some extent, but his minor league history does not show that he will K 100 more times at the major league level than at the minor league level. All of the second base options outside of Schoop have had a chance at the ML level with limited positive results. If we are going to roll the dice with someone I for one would rather it be Schoop.

Alex Gonzalez is 37, hit .177/.203/.230 last year 118 PA, and has no experience playing 2B. Outside of a 89 PA stint in2012, he hasn't been a major league hitter since 2010. I think acquiring Adams is much more likely a move meant to replace Gonzalez, and Gonzalez won't make the ML roster at all.
Nope. AGonz is a plus defender and has a lot of experience. He hit poorly last year but his job is to be a UTIF not a DH. As to playing 2B base he is a SS, it will be easy fore him to fill in here when he has to. I bet Buck is high on him.

Nope. AGonz is a plus defender and has a lot of experience. He hit poorly last year but his job is to be a UTIF not a DH. As to playing 2B base he is a SS, it will be easy fore him to fill in here when he has to. I bet Buck is high on him.

We will see. The Orioles have a lot of guys trying to grab backup INF and OF slots. AGonz is a good defender, it is a matter of health with him and his ability to continue to hit.

Archived