Fan Graphs: Getting the Extra Year of Team Control is Good and Proper Business (Schoop)

weams

I like the old days, teams broke ST camp with 28 players for the first month, and then trimmed it to 25 for the season, until fall call-ups.

With bigger bullpens, this puts less bench players on the bench, and I am thinking a 26-27 man roster all year wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Trea's "logic" is obviously as ridiculous as ever.

But putting that aside, I will continue to argue against the "one size fits all" approach that some take to this. If you are a rebuilding team, than absolutely I agree with it. But if you are expecting to be in a dogfight to the end, as the Orioles certainly expect themselves to be, then you need to have your best 25-man roster up for the entire season. If that includes Schoop, so be it.

Now maybe they feel he's not that guy right now, and I'd certainly be OK with it.

But he shouldn't be left off of the team for service time issues. 5-6 years is an enternity in baseball. Who knows what his fortunes or the team's fortunes will look like in that time.

This. I would expect that this division will be very close between at least 3, maybe even 4 or 5 (pretty unlikely, I know) teams. Even if both wild cards come from this division, I could definitely see the team that gets left out only being behind by 1 or 2 games...if Dan or Buck think he could be worth 1 or 2 wins (offensively or defensively) over the length of the season over Flaherty, or even as a utility guy like Weeks, then I would hope they would bring him back to Baltimore...

I'll defer to Buck and Dan, but if it were my choice, Schoop looks like he's our best option at this point for 2b, especially until Manny comes back...

IMO

Duke is investing into this team to make a strong run at the playoffs, he is not going to jeopardize that by leaving Schoop in AAA, just because of this extra year of control thing.

If Schoop starts in AAA, it will be to play everyday and I doubt he stays there all season.

I still just cannot believe how much emphasis people are putting on a 22 year old prospect's spring training numbers. Totally ridiculous.

If you don't put any stock into Spring Training numbers/performance, then why have competitions in Spring Training?

I guess that means we should just look at statistics from previous seasons and assume that anyone who is 22 with little to no minor league experience couldn't possibly perform better than a player who has played in the majors before...even if that player has sub par ML stats in previous years and is clearly being outplayed in ST since they opened camp...

That makes sense to me. Let's do it.

One thing that I think is being overlooked here is the potential of a grievance being filed. George Springer's representation is apparently considering filing a grievance now.

Schoop would not have much of a case for a grievance if he were to start the season in Norfolk. A .697 OPS in 70 games in AAA does not demand promotion to the big leagues to start the next season. Were the Orioles to start him on the 25 man and he tore it up until Manny returned, however, it is far more likely that a case for a grievance could be made if the Orioles were to send him down.

If you think that is unlikely that Schoop will go nuts with the bat the first few weeks, why bring him up? If you do think he will start out on fire, you make demoting him upon Manny's return more difficult and create the possibility of a grievance being filed. Really, no reason to risk a year of control of him, IMO.

Making a case for Schoop starting with the Orioles is a valid stance. Making the case that it must be done because look what keeping Matt in AAA for a bit did to him is pure wackiness.

Holy crap. I was going to say no one in their right mind can think that way then I saw who the author was.

One thing that I think is being overlooked here is the potential of a grievance being filed. George Springer's representation is apparently considering filing a grievance now.

Schoop would not have much of a case for a grievance if he were to start the season in Norfolk. A .697 OPS in 70 games in AAA does not demand promotion to the big leagues to start the next season. Were the Orioles to start him on the 25 man and he tore it up until Manny returned, however, it is far more likely that a case for a grievance could be made if the Orioles were to send him down.

If you think that is unlikely that Schoop will go nuts with the bat the first few weeks, why bring him up? If you do think he will start out on fire, you make demoting him upon Manny's return more difficult and create the possibility of a grievance being filed. Really, no reason to risk a year of control of him, IMO.

The grievance is an absurdly empty threat. "Baseball reasons" is such a vague defense that it will defeat any potential grievance claim. Even if he is lighting the world on fire you can still send him down to work on a specific issue.

The grievance is an absurdly empty threat. "Baseball reasons" is such a vague defense that it will defeat any potential grievance claim. Even if he is lighting the world on fire you can still send him down to work on a specific issue.

Exactly. It can be because they want him to play full time innings and those innings would not be available when Manny returns. There are any number of baseball related reasons they can use to send him back.

Yeah in that case it is ridiculous. In our case it doesn't even apply as the Orioles havne't offered Schoop a 7 year contract.

This isn't a very difficult decision, IMO.

1) Schoop begins the year as the starting 2B

2) Schoop is sent down to AAA once Manny comes back to gain the extra year of team control (unless Schoop is tearing it up and is clearly the best option at 2B over Flaherty)

Looks like he found the perfect place. He can write crap and not be questioned about it.

Certainly no one questions him on his own site (Oriolesanonymous) because there's literally like 3 members. I would feel sorry but he always seemed to like taking to himself when he was here...ha.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 4

Archived