Fan Graphs: Getting the Extra Year of Team Control is Good and Proper Business (Schoop)

weams

I still just cannot believe how much emphasis people are putting on a 22 year old prospect's spring training numbers. Totally ridiculous.

Well, this board was pretty gaga over Markakis' ST numbers (while some off the better pitchers were off participating in the WBC or something like that) years ago and about 75% wanted him to start the season in the majors as a rookie on a poor team. Not only that, but Markakis was absolutely awful for the time we should have had him in the minors.

I would say if the team is in "win now" mode that there is justification for putting Schoop on the OD roster as well as giving Gausman the 5 slot in the rotation. I'd hate to fall a game short of the playoffs while we spent the first six weeks or so of the season with those two in the minors. OTOH, Tampa seems to keep its better prospects in the minors to start recent seasons (i.e. Myers) and things turn out just fine.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, this board was pretty gaga over Markakis' ST numbers (while some off the better pitchers were off participating in the WBC or something like that) years ago and about 75% wanted him to start the season in the majors as a rookie on a poor team.

We were desperate for someone to root for. Absolutely desperate after the way 2005 season ended. And frankly, I don't think service time games were that prevalent in that time period. I don't ever remember discussing that issue until Wieters came along.

I still just cannot believe how much emphasis people are putting on a 22 year old prospect's spring training numbers. Totally ridiculous.

Eddie Murray's spring in 1977 convinced the Orioles to bring the 21 year old prospect north with the club, resulting in Rookie of the Year honors in the AL, culminating with induction into the Hall of Fame a few decades later. Don't let anyone try to tell you spring stats don't matter. They mean almost nil for established starters, but they can hold a lot of meaning for prospects on the come. Schoop has earned a taste of MLB to begin the season. When Machado is ready, things will have shaken out with whether Flaherty will ever be trusted as a hitter, whether Lombardozzi is an upgrade over Flaherty as a utility infielder, whether Weeks can be trusted in the field, whether Casilla still has a role with Weeks around and, most importantly, what things Schoop needs to go back down to work on

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>likely <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a> setup to begin has lombardozzi & flaherty in 3B platoon, schoop & lombardozzi in 2B platoon</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">March 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We were desperate for someone to root for. Absolutely desperate after the way 2005 season ended. And frankly, I don't think service time games were that prevalent in that time period. I don't ever remember discussing that issue until Wieters came along.

Desperation often leads to poor decisions.

Service time games were very prevalent in that time period and the discussion of whether Markakis should have been in the minors either at the start of the season or by early May were quite heated.

Archived