Miguel Cabrera new deal gets him 30m a year

Greg

Nah, I'm sure Boras will allow him to settle with us for a reasonable team friendly deal.

Only difference between the two is Cabrera doesn't strike out as much n has a better average. But Davis is also younger, right. I think if Davis repeats his performance he gets 20-25/yr...I don't see the Os being the ones to pay it tho.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And drink he did, heavily, in fact, to the point where he ended up with a blood alcohol level of .26 according to police reports from the scene of an altercation between Cabrera and his wife on Saturday morning at around 6 a.m.

That’s more than three times the legal limit for being drunk. Granted, Cabrera was safe in his house and no charges were filed after the incident, but now, the Tigers have to be concerned about the mindset of their best position player heading into their one-game playoff with Minnesota and perhaps a playoff series with the New York Yankees should they win on Tuesday over the Twins.

Cabrera was out partying with some of his friends on the White Sox according to the Free Press, and that’s something that should not happen on the eve of what was the biggest game of the season up until that point. Imagine if this were a Red Sox player partying with New York Yankees on the eve of a big game; the media storm on ESPN would be overwhelming.

Cabrera showed up to the ballpark following the incident with a fairly big scratch on the left side of his face. It almost looked as if one of the giant Tiger statues that dot the Comerica Park landscape had come to life and attacked him. He went hitless during Saturday night’s loss to the White Sox and then hitless again on Sunday, going 0-11 n the series with the White Sox despite being one of the top hitters in the American League.

As for the altercation, his wife apparently had an undisclosed injury to her lip and Cabrera was taken to the station because she wanted him out of the house. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski picked him at between 7:30 and 8 a.m.

Cabrera is one of the youngest stars in all of baseball and handling such wealth and youthful exuberance at the same time can obviously be tough, but the timing of the situation is what makes it all so disturbing for Tigers fans.

The Tigers are one small ray of hope in an otherwise dark and dreary time for metro Detroit residents everywhere. The city’s unemployment level is a shade under 30% and the pennant race is all sports fans have to look forward to on most days because of the ineptitude of the Lions, but Cabrera just doesn’t seem to be taking it as seriously as even the fans are taking it right now.

Oct 29, 2012

Davis isn't MCab...yet. Probably wont be. But he is younger, more athletic and thereby more likely to age better, prices keep going up and two years from now the MFY and the SUX will need a 1B. If he averages 40 HR and .900ish OPS the next two years he will get paid. At least 8 years for 20M plus.

That is just insanely stupid. 8 year extension that does not even begin for two years. Amazing hitter but he is already 30, and started early in the bigs at age 20 so he already has 11 years of wear and tear on his body. I don't see this working out well for Detroit. Much better off keeping him through age 31, letting him walk and take the comp pick, then spend the 30 million on undervalued free agents. Best case scenario, they get market value for a really good DH. Worst case scenario, he struggles with injuries and they have 30 million committed for 8 of 10 years. Unbelievable.

Going by today's market, Cabrera is worth $30 million. For a team that can afford to give that to one player of course.

He'll be worth 30 million for 3, maybe 4 years of that deal. When hes in his late 30s hitting .270 with 20 homers a year while dealing with injury problems I'm sure he won't be earning the 30 mil a year contract anymore.

He'll be worth 30 million for 3, maybe 4 years of that deal. When hes in his late 30s hitting .270 with 20 homers a year while dealing with injury problems I'm sure he won't be earning the 30 mil a year contract anymore.

Hardly any big time free agents stay good enough to be worth what they're making throughout the entire deal. The Tigers paid the going rate for having the best hitter in the league on your team. They're betting on Miguel being good enough in the first 5 or 6 years to make up for the fall off he has in the last few. I think it's a fair bet and it's one that they think they can afford to make. There have been numerous deals recently that are much worse than this one.

Cabrera: .407 career wOBA, .455 in 2013.

Davis: .358 career wOBA, .421 in 2013.

Davis' second best year is .372, a figure Cabrera has topped for ten consective years.

I don't mean any disrespect to Crush. He was awesome last year, and I expect him to be very good again this year. But Cabrera is on a whole other level, the one occupied by the top 20-30 hitters of all time.

As to the long term, the Oliver projection system projects Cabrera will still be posting a .913 OPS five seasons from now, while PECOTA has him at .912. Yes, I think from 2019-23 he will probably be overpaid, but you can bet that the average salary will be way up by then, so he won't be as overpaid as you think.

Without steroids, baseball players getting paid 30 million past the age of 35 is a tremendous waste of money imo. Amazing to me that gms haven't caught up to the new reality. Pay him 40 million up to 35 and then let him go. Pay him 50 million up to 33-34, but don't pay a guy 30 million to be an average dh

Without steroids, baseball players getting paid 30 million past the age of 35 is a tremendous waste of money imo. Amazing to me that gms haven't caught up to the new reality. Pay him 40 million up to 35 and then let him go. Pay him 50 million up to 33-34, but don't pay a guy 30 million to be an average dh

Hank Aaron? Ted Williams? Stan Musial? There have been plenty of guys who played well after age 35 long before steroids came into vogue. We'll see if Cabrera ca do that, but I wouldn't bet against him.

Hank Aaron? Ted Williams? Stan Musial? There have been plenty of guys who played well after age 35 long before steroids came into vogue. We'll see if Cabrera ca do that, but I wouldn't bet against him.

They played past their prime. In their time, they would play as long as someone would pay them because salaries were ridiculously low. I'm not saying guys can't perform from 35-40, I'm saying they aren't worth 30 million.

Archived