The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caleb Joseph with a passed ball on a swinging strike three on a fairly normal pitch.

I think Caleb is a bit substandard as a pitch blocker. He's nowhere near as good as Wieters in that regard.

(BP agrees, and has him at -3.7 blocking runs per 7000 pitches.)

Both dWAR and UZR show that the Orioles played above average defense in September, despite making 23 errors and allowing 12 unearned runs in 27 games. Frankly, I find that pretty hard to swallow. Just watching the games, the infield defense was pretty pitiful in September. UZR does show a -3.3 for the infield in September, but has the outfield +14.8, way higher than in any other month.

Unearned runs, by month: 7, 2, 7, 6, 2, 12.

Errors, by month: 10, 6, 6, [22 combined for July/Aug], 23.

Both dWAR and UZR show that the Orioles played above average defense in September, despite making 23 errors and allowing 12 unearned runs in 27 games. Frankly, I find that pretty hard to swallow. Just watching the games, the infield defense was pretty pitiful in September. UZR does show a -3.3 for the infield in September, but has the outfield +14.8, way higher than in any other month.

Unearned runs, by month: 7, 2, 7, 6, 2, 12.

Errors, by month: 10, 6, 6, [22 combined for July/Aug], 23.

Expanded roster helped with outfield defense.

o

FROM LAST THURSDAY'S GAME THREAD:

o

At the very least, our Keystone Kops defense in the last few games has reinforced just how important that pitching and defense are, especially to this team.

Just in case Showalter had any funny ideas of trying to muddle through without Schoop and/or Flaherty in the postseason.

I hope that is what he's thinking, anyway.

I think that our defense played well in yesterday's postseason opener.

They sure looked a lot more like the team that played (defense) in the first 5 and-a-half months of the season than the one that played in the last 2 weeks of the season.

As I said, if nothing else, that rotten defense that the Orioles showed down the stretch after they clinched the division title has given me an appreciation AND a reminder of just how important pitching AND defense COMBINED is, in order to succeed in this game.

I hope that Showalter feels the same way, and stays with this infield defense (with the exception of the catchers position, which will presumably have some type of alternating play between Joseph and Hundley) from here on out.

These playoff games will be close. We have to start Flash at 3B and Schoop at 2B. Can't afford to give away runs or run up the pitch count. The offensive options instead are still pretty marginal upgrades IMO

You called it, and at least for game one it worked. :)

o

o

At the very least, our Keystone Kops defense in the last few games has reinforced just how important that pitching and defense are, especially to this team.

Just in case Showalter had any funny ideas of trying to muddle through without Schoop and/or Flaherty in the postseason.

TODAY:

They sure looked a lot more like the team that played (defense) in the first 5 and-a-half months of the season than the one that played in the last 2 weeks of the season.

As I said, if nothing else, that rotten defense that the Orioles showed down the stretch after they clinched the division title has given me an appreciation AND a reminder of just how important pitching AND defense COMBINED is, in order to succeed in this game.

I hope that Showalter feels the same way, and stays with this infield defense (with the exception of the catchers position, which will presumably have some type of alternating play between Joseph and Hundley) from here on out.

Roch feels similarly:

Third Base not an Issue for Orioles in Game 1

After committing seven errors at third base in their final 10 games of the regular season, the Orioles were flawless in the field yesterday in the opener of the American League Division Series.

(By Roch Kubatko)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/10/third-base-not-an-issue-for-orioles-in-game-1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

No one mentioned it, so ......

Darren O'Day hesitated and didn't get over to 1st base fast enough on the Kinsler tapper in the 8th. That could have been a huge play but the soft liner DP wiped out Kinsler.

I was surprised Pearce went after that ball rather than retreating to 1B and letting Schoop handle it, and I suspect O'Day was surprised, too. I was at the game and didn't see a replay, but it certainly seemed to me like that was Schoop's play, not Pearce's.

I was surprised Pearce went after that ball rather than retreating to 1B and letting Schoop handle it, and I suspect O'Day was surprised, too. I was at the game and didn't see a replay, but it certainly seemed to me like that was Schoop's play, not Pearce's.

Schoop was shifted well around to the SS side of the bag and I don't think he could have gotten there. My brother-in-law commented how much he hates the shift when it doesn't work.

o

o

GAME ONE:

GAME TWO:

When it comes to defense in baseball, no news is often good news.

No errors.

No self-destructing.

ALDS Game 2

A fantastic double play started by a Flaherty diving stop and then a cannon throw by Schoop. One of the best DPs of the year.

A great relay play from Jonesy to Schoop to Joseph to nail Miguel Cabrera at the plate.

And then, the relay play the Tigers didn't make. Defense wins championships.

ALDS Game 2

A fantastic double play started by a Flaherty diving stop and then a cannon throw by Schoop. One of the best DPs of the year.

A great relay play from Jonesy to Schoop to Joseph to nail Miguel Cabrera at the plate.

And then, the relay play the Tigers didn't make. Defense wins championships.

Both plays by our defense that you cited were phenomenal. In fairness, the Tigers did make the relay but for a slight bobble by Martinez in LF and a throw that was less than perfect by Kinsler, combined with quite the impressive slide by JJ.

It really is a game of inches.

Archived