The Defense Thread, 2014

Frobby

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I was taught wrong. I was always taught that the pitcher is depending on the catcher in that situation to tell him where to go with the ball. It looked like Wieter's pointed to 3B but it's hard to say just how loud and forceful he was in telling Meek to go that way. I'd guess, not strong enough. I'm not sure Meek ever looked back. Your catcher is supposed to tell you where to go with the ball as he has the whole play right in front of him.

Wieters should have been yelling,"Three, three, three!"

Game 10, April 11

Well, 2 throwing errors by Schoop and a botched dp turn by flash all in the 4th inning. Missing Manny and JJ tonight.

Also, Cruz absolutely froze on a line drive that landed 10 feet in front of where he was standing. It was Reimoldesque.

Game 10, April 11

Also, Cruz absolutely froze on a line drive that landed 10 feet in front of where he was standing. It was Reimoldesque.

Awful. Comparing Cruz to Markakis is another thing that makes my head spin. I've watched him before, but from the very little I've seen while he's with us he gets horrible reads on many balls and that's on many he catches.

Awful. Comparing Cruz to Markakis is another thing that makes my head spin. I've watched him before, but from the very little I've seen while he's with us he gets horrible reads on many balls and that's on many he catches.

Yup. The debate about his skills as an outfielder is over, IMO. He's a liability out there and you just have to hope nothing challenging is hit in his direction.

Game 12, April 13

Wieters had a shaky day. There was a wild pitch that was really a passed ball, another ball that got behind him but the runners couldn't advance, and he couldn't play the hop on a throw home by Jones, but the play was backed up.

Schoop made a great diving stop of a grounder down the line, then made an ill advised throw which Davis did a nice job of gloving several feet off the bag. Later, there was a grounder in the hole between SS and 3B that Schoop couldn't reach, but I felt Manny would have had it.

Delmon Young made a nice running catch on a ball in the gap while clipping feet with Adam Jones. That would have been an awful collision and they were lucky to miss each other.

Lombardozzi made a poor pivot throw on an easy DP for the second time this week, and this time Davis couldn't glove it.

The Jays made several nice plays, but the best play of the day was made by the Orioles' ball girl, who cut off a double down the 3B line and kept the runner on 1st from scoring.

Game 12, April 13

Wieters had a shaky day. There was a wild pitch that was really a passed ball, another ball that got behind him but the runners couldn't advance, and he couldn't play the hop on a throw home by Jones, but the play was backed up.

Schoop made a great diving stop of a grounder down the line, then made an ill advised throw which Davis did a nice job of gloving several feet off the bag.

Delmon made a nice running catch on a ball in the gap while clipping feet with Adam Jones. That would have been an awful collision and they were lucky to miss each other.

Lombardozzi made a poor pivot throw on an easy DP for the second time this week, and this time Davis couldn't glove it.

The Jays made several nice plays, but the best play of the day was made by the Orioles' ball girl, who cut off a double down the 3B line and kept the runner on 1st from scoring.

He also made an excellent throw to nail Bautista trying to stretch a single into a double in the 3rd inning, while the score was still tied at 1 apiece.

Not bad at all for his first day playing the field this season. :cool:

He also made an excellent throw to nail Bautista trying to stretch a single into a double in the 3rd inning, while the score was still tied at 1 apiece.

Yes, and the throw was impressive because nobody would have said a word if he turned and threw to hit the cut off. He didn't take it for granted that it was a double, got to it quickly and fired a strike.

He took a good route on the ball in the gap and had to otherwise doesn't make the catch. He looks better than Cruz out there.

Yes, and the throw was impressive because nobody would have said a word if he turned and threw to hit the cut off. He didn't take it for granted that it was a double, got to it quickly and fired a strike.

He took a good route on the ball in the gap and had to otherwise doesn't make the catch. He looks better than Cruz out there.

Yes.

It was the opposite of what Jonesy did last night, when Adam DID take it for granted that Cabrera would stay at first base, when in fact, Cabrera never broke stride, and hustled in for the extra base.

Archived