2014 Chris Tillman Today

Il BuonO

Tillman just got Mussina'd tonight, because the offense gave him absolutely no run support tonight. Not to take anything away from McGowan and the Jays bullpen, but that's about as frustrating as it gets when your top guy gives a performance like that and you can't back him up.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks poised for a big year. Not ready to call it yet, but do we possibly have a bonafide, legitimate #1 starter on our hands?

It's only three starts, two great ones in a row... but I think so. What impressed me more is how he persevered in the 4th inning tonight. Schoop throws the first one away. So he just gets a DP ball. Schoop throws that one away too. So what does he do? Gets ANOTHER DP ball. The only Ace thing he didn't do was snag the high hop at first. Second run scores. So he just quickly gets the third (sixth) out. Calm, cool, driven. Ace.

I'd have to look long and hard to come up with the last time an Orioles starter had back to back starts that were more impressive than that.* 16.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 11 K's. And he could have gone deeper tonight, Buck said.

* Not as hard as I thought. Hammel on June 16/22, 2012: 17 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 18 K's.

It's only three starts, two great ones in a row... but I think so. What impressed me more is how he persevered in the 4th inning tonight. Schoop throws the first one away. So he just gets a DP ball. Schoop throws that one away too. So what does he do? Gets ANOTHER DP ball. The only Ace thing he didn't do was snag the high hop at first. Second run scores. So he just quickly gets the third (sixth) out. Calm, cool, driven. Ace.

That throw from Flaherty was horrible. Most 1bers would have had a problem nabbing it. Should have been an error on Flaherty.

Now it's a high hop. In the game thread you called it in between and that's exactly what it was. It was a horrible throw by Flaherty that skipped low, not high. Davis himself would have had a hard time scooping that ball.

I'd have to look long and hard to come up with the last time an Orioles starter had back to back starts that were more impressive than that.* 16.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 11 K's. And he could have gone deeper tonight, Buck said.

* Not as hard as I thought. Hammel on June 16/22, 2012: 17 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 18 K's.

Tillman in 2013 had a couple of games where Chris did very close to what he's done over the last two games. August 24/29 and July 21/26.

No reason to let him tonight, we weren't scoring any for him. McGowan wasn't bad but Cecil was flat out nasty in relief. Santos, too.

Now it's a high hop. In the game thread you called it in between and that's exactly what it was. It was a horrible throw by Flaherty that skipped low, not high. Davis himself would have had a hard time scooping that ball.

Same thing to me, just different terminology. The bad high hop. Toughest play. Back in the day I was an infielder and snagged the short hops just routinely, like easy. It was the in between or high hops that were tough. Still caught my fair share but only because I had/have great reflexes.

And it was thigh high at least on Tillman. Not low. And backhand.

That throw from Flaherty was horrible. Most 1bers would have had a problem nabbing it. Should have been an error on Flaherty.

Can't on a DP. Can't assume a DP. :noidea:

And to all you haters... Flash has been rock solid in the field this year, wherever he has played, especially filling in at SS for Hardy. You all should be GLAD to have him, instead of posting [crap] hater BS about how he's worthless! Get. A. Clue.

And to all you haters... Flash has been rock solid in the field this year, wherever he has played, especially filling in at SS for Hardy. You all should be GLAD to have him, instead of posting [crap] hater BS about how he's worthless! Get. A. Clue.

The irony is, when we got Flaherty the book on him was that he was a decent hitter with some pop, who played a lot of positions but none of them well. Instead, he's been very good defensively wherever we've put him, especially at 2B. Bad throw last night, but overall he's been solid. I'm still ready to have JJ back.

That's an assumption. In baseball scoring you can assume a double play. Flaherty's throw allowed Encarnaci?n to score on a double play ball by Navarro. So according to the "rules" Flaherty's throw allowed Encarnaci?n to advance. So by the rules.. Flaherty committed a throwing error.

No, You need to realize we can find a dozen other utility guys in the world of baseball that can do the same thing.. hell we Weeks in AAA who's swinging a hot bat right now. So Flaherty is replaceable.

Just reflecting on last night's game some more...Tillman was really tremendous. Hitting the low outside corner with his fastball with regularity using his straight over the top delivery, throwing knee-buckling curve balls, and some really devastating changeups. He really had it all working, and that's ace stuff he was carrying. I'm very excited about what this year has in store for Tilly.

Archived