2014 New York Yankees

OFFNY

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Oh that's just dirt for my sweaty hands."

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if he did have to use "something" for sweaty hands, if it effects the grip on his fingers to reduce slippage it effects the ball. Admitting to sweaty hands and needing something to combat that really only implicates himself.

Freddy Garcia was sweaty. That's not sweaty.

"Oh that's just dirt for my sweaty hands."

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if he did have to use "something" for sweaty hands, if it effects the grip on his fingers to reduce slippage it effects the ball. Admitting to sweaty hands and needing something to combat that really only implicates himself.

Freddy Garcia was sweaty. That's not sweaty.

Almost everyone does it so no one complains about it. The part I don't like is where the Umps said they couldn't do anything about it because the Sox didn't complain. Let me get this right, they can clearly see an illegal substance on a pitcher's hand but are unable to investigate if a complain isn't logged?

Almost everyone does it so no one complains about it. The part I don't like is where the Umps said they couldn't do anything about it because the Sox didn't complain. Let me get this right, they can clearly see an illegal substance on a pitcher's hand but are unable to investigate if a complain isn't logged?

Watching "The Rundown" on MLB Network and they just posted a statement from Joe Torre which said that the umpires DID NOT actually notice the pine tar on his hand.

...Okay... but I find that hard to believe.

Watching "The Rundown" on MLB Network and they just posted a statement from Joe Torre which said that the umpires DID NOT actually notice the pine tar on his hand.

...Okay... but I find that hard to believe.

Doesn't sound like anybody is really concerned about this pine tar stuff. From the sound of it , everybody does it and no one wants to report the other guy doing it. Which makes me wonder if we're dumb enough to not be doing it.

Doesn't sound like anybody is really concerned about this pine tar stuff. From the sound of it , everybody does it and no one wants to report the other guy doing it. Which makes me wonder if we're dumb enough to not be doing it.

Yeah, David Ortiz very quickly threw a bucket of cold water on this whole thing, IMO, with his comments. When this happened last year with Buchholz it seemed to have a lot more juice. It should be noted though, in Torre's same statement I mentioned before he did imply that a suspension could be considered for this type of action but it will not be considered at this time because the umpires didn't notice it and the Red Sox didn't report. Which makes me wonder if he actually broke a rule or not.

Perhaps MLB just needs to clarify the whole rule to fans. And themselves.

Archived