Nelson Cruz almost earned half his paycheck in the first game.

Ommaculate

We're almost 1/4 of the way into the season ....... and NOW, the notion of Cruz at least being in the neighborhood of having earned half of his annual 2014 paycheck is not necessarily so crazy, as it (obviously) was when this thread was started.

In addition to the fact that he has been monstrous offensively so far, Cruz has also had to carry the team on quite a few occasions, due to many of the other starters having had prolonged cold streaks at the plate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're almost 1/4 of the way into the season ....... and NOW, the notion of Cruz at least being in the neighborhood of having earned half of his annual 2014 paycheck is not necessarily so crazy, as it (obviously) was when this thread was started.

In addition to the fact that he has been monstrous offensively so far, Cruz has also had to carry the team on quite a few occasions, due to many of the other starters having had prolonged cold streaks at the plate.

I don't know how you would calculate this guy's value, and I don't really care.

We're just past the 1/3 point in the season, and this guy has easily been the M.V.O. (Most Valuable Oriole) for the 2014 season to date.

$8 Million ??? I really hope that Cruz likes being an Orioles, hope that he likes the manager and his teammates, and that we at least make a concerted effort at keeping him in 2015 and beyond.

• 4 weeks later...

o

(vs. WHITE SOX, 6/25)

Half his paycheck ???

That would be $4 Million.

I'd say that he has definitely earned it by now.

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

• 1 month later...

He's been going backward since June.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nelson Cruz has been worth -0.5 WAR since the start of June</p>— Jeff Sullivan (@based_ball) <a href="

">August 5, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 1 month later...
o

(vs. D-RAYS, 9/07)

o

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

NELSON RAMON CRUZ

He wasn't done, Patrick.

A 2-run home run in the top of the 10th inning gave the Orioles the lead again.

The Orioles have 7 runs today, and Cruz has 7 R.B.I.'s today.

The guy deserves serious consideration for MVP, but he probably won't get many votes. I don't care. He is the Orioles MVP and its not close.

He isn't even the Orioles MVP that would be Adam Jones. But he has helped the team a lot those year. Hopefully we can get him back for next season.

Archived