2014 Ubaldo Jimenez Today

Il BuonO

Jimenez said after the game he had trouble keeping the ball down. It wasn't the bet outing, but not terrible. I liked his demeanor when he was interviewed after. I expect a good year from him and think he'll fit in well in the clubhouse.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimenez said after the game he had trouble keeping the ball down. It wasn't the bet outing, but not terrible. I liked his demeanor when he was interviewed after. I expect a good year from him and think he'll fit in well in the clubhouse.

Dempsey said in the post game analysis that the colder temperatures may have made it harder for his ball to sink, but if that is so, I don't want someone with that issue pitching in a WS when it is almost always cold.

Dempsey said in the post game analysis that the colder temperatures may have made it harder for his ball to sink, but if that is so, I don't want someone with that issue pitching in a WS when it is almost always cold.

Considering how Jimenez pitched for Cleveland in September, I'd say he can handle chilly weather.

The number one question is what are the chances that at the end of Ubaldo's contract people say it was a great value? I say 1 in 10 simply because he is not gonna have $14m a year stuff for 4 straight years. He never has for more than half a year.

Even worse, my larger fear is the Ubaldo deal is going to make it so Angelos will never spend money on a good starter again.

I know everyone beat the hell out of the O's for not spending in Free Agency, but I really would have preferred that $14 million go towards extending Hardy/Weiters/Davis. I feel like we would have gotten similar performance from Britton/Matusz/Stinson for a lot less money. At the minimum they would have been passable placeholders for Gausman or Bundy. Also don't forget Johan Sanatana in the minors. How depressing will it be if 2016 rolls around, and Hardy/Davis/Weiters are elsewhere and we are still paying Ubaldo to be a .500 pitcher?

I thought he looked ok I was impressed how he mixed a lot of different pitches and worked the corners. The stuff isn't as good as I'd have hoped, but I think he has a pretty good idea how to pitch. He was up a little too much today. Not too many ground balls.

The number one question is what are the chances that at the end of Ubaldo's contract people say it was a great value? I say 1 in 10 simply because he is not gonna have $14m a year stuff for 4 straight years. He never has for more than half a year.

Even worse, my larger fear is the Ubaldo deal is going to make it so Angelos will never spend money on a good starter again.

I know everyone beat the hell out of the O's for not spending in Free Agency, but I really would have preferred that $14 million go towards extending Hardy/Weiters/Davis. I feel like we would have gotten similar performance from Britton/Matusz/Stinson for a lot less money. At the minimum they would have been passable placeholders for Gausman or Bundy. Also don't forget Johan Sanatana in the minors. How depressing will it be if 2016 rolls around, and Hardy/Davis/Weiters are elsewhere and we are still paying Ubaldo to be a .500 pitcher?

We're not paying him $14 mm/yr, we're paying him $12.5 mm/yr, a portion if which is deferred. At today's rates, that's a no. 2/3 starter.

I like what I saw for the most part. World Champs did their thing and we didn't play very well.

U-man pitched much better than his line. Had some nasty stuff. One or two mistakes and give credit to the Sux. Shouldn't have been that bad. :(

I like Gonzalez as a #2 pitcher better.

I think Jimenez will have some very good games. He is probably worth the money but he is inconsistent enough that he will probably loss as many as he wins. I expect he will get 180 IP.

I agree with this. I think Gonzo is at least our number two, and I believe he could be the number one. IMO, Gonzo has what it takes to consistently be a top end pitcher.

From 2008-2013 (full seasons) he's put up 22.6 WAR. Or an average of about 3.8 per season. That's good for anywhere from $19m-$22.8m depending on whether you feel 1WAR is $5-6m.

I think he ends up averaging something like 2-3 WAR per season. Slight overpay for him as he could have offseasons. But this is the price to pay for talent. The O's don't have depth in the minors to gamble at this point.

Archived