Reactionary Thread for Loss #1

Rene88

Feldman 2013 vs. Bos. 0 2 9.49 era

Hey, I was not a big fan of Feldman, but ironically they had a game on last night on MASN where he pitched against Boston towards the end of last season and held them and their potent lineup to just two runs over six innings. He didn't get the win, but that was a quality start.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly the team looks just like it did when the season ended last year. No one is getting on base...no one knows how to take a walk....and everyone strikes out too much. It's like the team has zero speed on the bases at all. Even the light hitting infielders we have are slow.

Flaherty is AAAA .220 utility infielder. The Valencia trade for Lough is looking pretty bad right now. I would rather have Valencia @ 3rd and Cruz in left field every day until Machado gets back.

I agree on Ubaldo. There is zero chance in 4 years we look back and say it was a good deal. He has not pitched at a $14m level for a whole season in his career, and expecting it for 4 years is ignorant. It was a bad signing with Bundy/Gausman coming up soon, and Britton/Matusz/McFarland/Stinson as cheap 5th starter stopgaps.

I also don't like seeing Lombardozzi. He is another marginal MLB player taking at bats away from Schoop.

And lastly, the worst part is Markakis. He should be one of the best outfielders in the league, yet he continues to regress. It seems like he has no power and almost looks weak. With the neck stiffness, I would be surprised if they find a back issue later.

Honestly the team looks just like it did when the season ended last year. No one is getting on base...no one knows how to take a walk....and everyone strikes out too much. It's like the team has zero speed on the bases at all. Even the light hitting infielders we have are slow.

Flaherty is AAAA .220 utility infielder. The Valencia trade for Lough is looking pretty bad right now. I would rather have Valencia @ 3rd and Cruz in left field every day until Machado gets back.

I agree on Ubaldo. There is zero chance in 4 years we look back and say it was a good deal. He has not pitched at a $14m level for a whole season in his career, and expecting it for 4 years is ignorant. It was a bad signing with Bundy/Gausman coming up soon, and Britton/Matusz/McFarland/Stinson as cheap 5th starter stopgaps.

I also don't like seeing Lombardozzi. He is another marginal MLB player taking at bats away from Schoop.

This all makes me laugh so much

It's Game 2

And not of the playoffs

The loss of McClouth is going to hurt them bigtime. He was that guy.

Nate was a league average hitter last year with a .258 average, and a .728 OPS. And he was much worse than that after the first month of the season (average OPS of .687 from May to the end of the season. Markakis is a better lead off hitter than him and there's a good chance Lough will be just as valuable in WAR as him. I like Nate, but not having him this year is not really a loss considering we brought in Lough. Take out his April stats and he's Ryan Flaherty.

Speaking of Flaherty, after May his OPS was over .800. And he plays great defense. That's why I like him more than Roberts, besides the fact he was better than him last year.

Nate was a league average hitter last year with a .258 average, and a .728 OPS. And he was much worse than that after the first month of the season (average OPS of .687 from May to the end of the season. Markakis is a better lead off hitter than him and there's a good chance Lough will be just as valuable in WAR as him. I like Nate, but not having him this year is not really a loss considering we brought in Lough. Take out his April stats and he's Ryan Flaherty.

Speaking of Flaherty, after May his OPS was over .800. And he plays great defense. That's why I like him more than Roberts, besides the fact he was better than him last year.

Nate also stopped stealing bases after a while. He stole 22 bases and was only caught once through June 11, then the rest of the year he only stole 8 bases and was caught 6 times. I'll remember him fondly but I think we may be glad we let him go. Lough is the better defender for sure, though he made a McLouth-esque throw tonight.

As to Flaherty, the jury is out on whether he can improve his hitting. He finished strong each of his two years with the club, but he clearly has trouble with pitch recognition. We'll see. It was time to move on from BRob, though.

Nate also stopped stealing bases after a while. He stole 22 bases and was only caught once through June 11, then the rest of the year he only stole 8 bases and was caught 6 times. I'll remember him fondly but I think we may be glad we let him go. Lough is the better defender for sure, though he made a McLouth-esque throw tonight.

As to Flaherty, the jury is out on whether he can improve his hitting. He finished strong each of his two years with the club, but he clearly has trouble with pitch recognition. We'll see. It was time to move on from BRob, though.

Spot on.

Wow, two games with a 1-1 record and the sky is already falling for some people.

Pointing out weaknesses is fair to do. I don't see anyone acting like the sky is falling. I think it's fair to say that the top two hitters aren't getting on base to set the table and put pressure on the other teams pitcher.

For one game. Jimenez has been a solid major league pitcher in his career, clearly a cut above Feldman or Hammel and way above Steve Johnson's level. Gausman may turn out to have a better career, but we need to be patient with him. As to Jimenez, if he takes the ball 30+ times and gives us a 4.00 ERA, I'll feel we got our money's worth.

Absolutely. If Ulbaldo does that WR should be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I hope Markakis neck stiffness is not an issue all year long. Like to see him hit for a little power. The outfielders play him shallow now. Looked to me like they played deeper for Flaherty. He hit for power in the spring so we shall see. Two games and you can't make too many conclusions.I guess the Blue Jays will win the division and the Yankees might not win a game. Can"t even beat Houston. I think if the Blue Jays stay healthy they will be better then last year.

My reaction is this: We are 1-1 against the world champs. We have faced arguably, 2 of the best pitchers in baseball. Numbers are meaningless after 2 games. If we get a win tonight I'm sure the reactions will be much different tomorrow morning. Even if we don't it's way too early to panic.

Archived