2014 Wei-Yin Chen Today

Il BuonO

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never can understand some of the crap that Chen gets from some fans. Sure, he tires out and you'd like to see him finish the 7th after looking so good most of the game. But, he keeps you in games more often than not, which is what you'd hope for from a mid-rotation, average major league starter. Tonight was one of those games, and if he has games like those the majority of the time, I know I'll be a happy man.

Not sure if you were talking generally, but Chen did go 7 IP tonight.

I never can understand some of the crap that Chen gets from some fans. Sure, he tires out and you'd like to see him finish the 7th after looking so good most of the game. But, he keeps you in games more often than not, which is what you'd hope for from a mid-rotation, average major league starter. Tonight was one of those games, and if he has games like those the majority of the time, I know I'll be a happy man.

We've won four of his five starts. That'll work.

Nice to see him get through 7 IP tonight. That allowed Buck to use his bullpen for matchups in a way he can't when the starters leave earlier.

o

Although Wei-Yin Chen has a very high W.H.I.P. of 1.586, he has only walked 6 batters (not including 1 intentional walk) in 29 innings pitched, for an average of 1 walk every 4.8 innings.

In 2 out of his last 3 outings, Chen has been very good.

Against the Devil Rays on April 14th, Chen gave up 1 run over 6.33 innings.

In his most recent outing against the Royals, Chen gave up 2 runs over 7 innings.

MINNESOTA TWINS O (MAY 3rd)

Brian Dozier - 2B

Joe Mauer - 1B

Trevor Plouffe - 3B

Chris Colabello - RF

Jason Kubel - LF

Josmil Pinto - DH

Kurt Suzuki - C

Sam Fuld - CF

Pedro Florimon - SS

Kevin Correia - RHP (0-3, 7.33 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

WEI-YIN CHEN O (vs. TWINS, 5/03)

IP:. 5 - PLUS

H:o 6 (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

R:O 3

ER:o2

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 108 (73 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2014 ERA: 4.24

PITCHES BY INNING

24 (16 Strikes, 8 Balls)

22 (15 Strikes, 7 Balls)

20 (14 Strikes, 6 Balls)

16 (11 Strikes, 5 Balls)

19 (14 Strikes, 5 Balls)

71 (31 Strikes, 4 Balls) *

* Chen did not record any outs before departing in the 6th inning.

Not his worst start, but could have been better. The leadoff or second hitter got on in every inning Chen pitched except for one, which got his pitch counts each inning up early. Now, he did a good job of stranding the runners in most instances, as reflected in the graphic they showed highlighting the opposing BA with runners on against Chen being really low. Would have liked to have seen him get through the 6th, but he'd thrown too many pitches, and it wouldn't have mattered much because the offense couldn't cash in on opportunities.

Chen is slightly better than average starter, who is a steal for the option we have him on next season. Glad we have Bud so he can be our number five guy.

I don't expect any greatness out of Gausman or Bundy this year, so I bet we pick up the option and let him go afterwards.

o

A potential disaster in the 6th inning (Machado's error, which gave the Astros runners on 1st and 2nd base with nobody out) was averted by Chen, who proceeded to get the next 3 batters without allowing any runs.

Chen hung in there, didn't let it (the error and/or the very precarious situation) fluster him, and he picked his team up.

After giving up a lead-off, solo home run to Chris Carter to start the 7th inning, Chen got 3 more outs to complete a very respectable outing.

So far, Wei-Yin Chen has posted a 4.24 ERA while averaging 5.67 IP/start. That's not awful, but not as good as the 4.02 ERA, 5.99 IP he averaged in 2012-13. We really could use a 7 inning outing tonight against this low OBP team. Let's go, Wei-Yin!

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/140948-Time-for-Chen-to-step-it-up-a-little

Archived