2014 Wei-Yin Chen Today

Il BuonO

o

A potential disaster in the 6th inning (Machado's error, which gave the Astros runners on 1st and 2nd base with nobody out) was averted by Chen, who proceeded to get the next 3 batters without allowing any runs.

Chen hung in there, didn't let it (the error and/or the very precarious situation) fluster him, and he picked his team up.

I was going to post a response saying that I've noticed in the past that Chen does not let errors bother him and often seems to pick the team up in that situation. Then I looked up some stats, and they're pretty interesting.

In 2012, 7 hitters reached on an error while Chen was pitching, yet he allowed 11 unearned runs.

In 2013, only 2 hitters reached on an error, and Chen allowed 0 unearned runs.

This year, 2 hitters have reached on an error so far and Chen has allowed 1 unearned run.

Based on what happened in 2012, I don't think I can support what I originally was going to say. He allowed unearned runs in 8 different games that year, not easy to do when only 7 hitters reached on an error. I assume there were one or more errors on OF throws or something in addition to the 7 ROE.

(Note: in the AL in 2013, 743 hitters reached on an error, but there were 1,342 errors. So, "reached on error" accounts for only 55% of all errors. In addition to errors on OF throws, you have errors on plays scored infield hits where a bad throw allows the runners to advance, you have errors on pickoff plays and SB attempts, you have errors on balls dropped in foul territory, and probably a few other things. To really dive into what happened with Chen in 2012 I'd have to look at the box scores, and I'm not that ambitious.)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

KANSAS CITY ROYALS O (MAY 15th)

Nori Aoki - RF

Eric Hosmer - 1B

Billy Butler - DH

Salvador Perez - C

Alex Gordon - LF

Danny Valencia - 3B

Johnny Giavotella - 2B

Lorenzo Cain - CF

Alcides Escobar - SS

Yordano Ventura - RHP (2-2, 2.34 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Good game, Chen.

A little bit of bad luck at the end with the bloop single just prior to his departure.

Not much margin for error tonight, either (the score of the game was 2-1 when he was relieved by O'Day.)

Chen seemed to be pissed walking off the mound after the 5th? and then pretty upset in the dugout talking to his interpreter. Then the pitching coach went over to talk to Clevenger about it. Anybody know what that as all about?

Im watching the Chen interview ....Does he really still speak no english?

Chen speaks for four languages, Mandarin, English, Japanese and, I think, Spanish. He just does not want to speak in English to the media, thinking he may say the wrong thing.

CLEVELAND INDIANS O (MAY 22nd)

Michael Bourn - CF

Asdrubal Cabrera - SS

Michael Brantley - LF

Ryan Raburn - DH

Nick Swisher - 1B

Yan Gomes - C

Carlos Santana - 3B

David Murphy - RF

Mike Aviles - 2B

Justin Masteron - RHP (2-3, 5.06 ERA)

www.baseballpress.com/lineups

After a rough start early on, Chen was cruising until his defense let him down big time in the 7th inning.

I couldn't even watch the Chen debacle tonight. Once again left in too long, I called out the tie game before it happened.
You can't be serious. Flaherty screwed up two ground balls.

And both would have been inning-ending double plays, which would have preserved the 5-3 lead that we had at the time.

A pitcher is supposed to pick up his teammate(s) when they make an error.

Chen DID pick up his teammate when he made an error ...... only to have him immediately flub another ball on the very next play.

Asking a pitcher to occasionally get 4 outs in one inning because **** happens is one thing.

Asking a pitcher to get 5 outs in one inning ...... especially in the latter innings of the game, after he has already thrown more than 80 or 90 pitches ...... is asking a hell of a lot.

Chen, you're up against the Brew-Crew tomorrow night.

Hard-luck outing last in your last game.

Let's get a W, and extend the team's winning streak to 3 games.

I second that! We need a series win too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived