2014 Miguel Gonzalez Today

Il BuonO

It seems to me that both he and Chen have this great barrier that hits them in the 5th or 6th inning that they have trouble overcoming. Almost an expectation of problems or that their limit has been reached. I actually think that Norris has greater tenacity or bull dog approach than either of these guys.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
o

PITTSBURGH PIRATES O (MAY 20th)

Josh Harrison - RF

Neil Walker - 2B

Andrew McCutchen - CF

Pedro Alvarez - 3B

Starling Marte - LF

Ike Davis - 1B

Jordy Mercer - SS

Chris Stewart - C

Francisco Liriano - LHP (0-3, 4.25 ERA)

www.baseballpress.com/lineups

Good game.

When Gausman pitched 5 days ago with Gonzalez piggy-backing, some wondered why he (Gonzalez) only pitched 2 innings.

I'm wondering if the reason was because when Gausman exited the game, we were behind by a score of 5-0 after only 4 innings, and Showalter was thinking ahead ...... perhaps he wanted to have Miguel throw only 2 innings, a minimal amount of pitches, and hope that his arm would be extra-fresh in his next start (tonight.)

Gonzalez threw 6 innings of one-run ball on 94 pitches tonight before he gave up the solo shot in the 7th inning, so if that was indeed what Bucky was thinking, perhaps the strategy worked out effectively.

Good game.

When Gausman pitched 5 days ago with Gonzalez piggy-backing, some wondered why he (Gonzalez) only pitched 2 innings.

I'm wondering if the reason was because when Gausman exited the game, we were behind by a score of 5-0 after only 4 innings, and Showalter was thinking ahead ...... perhaps he wanted to have Miguel throw only 2 innings, a minimal amount of pitches, and hope that his arm would be extra-fresh in his next start (tonight.)

Gonzalez threw 6 innings of one-run ball on 94 pitches tonight before he gave up the solo shot in the 7th inning, so if that was indeed what Bucky was thinking, perhaps the strategy worked out effectively.

I'd say it worked beautifully. He looked like the old Miguel most of the night. Sat 92-93 the whole outing with good location. Got them to wave at many breaking balls. Very encouraging. I wonder how Buck will work out this extra rest that Miguel seems to thrive on.

Rick Dempsey made the absolutely false statement that Gonzalez pitches better when he's ahead in the game than he does when the score is tied or he's behind. Statistically, the opposite is true.

I heard that too, and I had a hard time believing it. Then I had to remind myself, Rick Dempsey says lots of things.

Archived