Reminded of Maier again.

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/07/jeffrey-maier-contemplates-replay/

I know why they talked to him' date=' because if replay was in effect, the call would be right, but why not go ask the umpire who made the call if he wishes he could take it back or how replay would have affected that call.[/quote']

Why in the hell bring all that back? That umpire may not even be alive. Time for

you to move on. The world has moved on. What's in the past is in the past. IMO

He wouldn't change a thing, huh? t only wish I had a flyswatter big enough for that ***hole. Let's see if he would grow from that experience.

You are still bothered by that. It was a bad deal but that was in 97 or 98. I didnt

read it. No reason for me to. Something that happened in the past stays there.

Why in the hell bring all that back? That umpire may not even be alive. Time for

you to move on. The world has moved on. What's in the past is in the past. IMO

Richard Raul Garcia. I'll never forget that ----ing imp's name. Just a random factoid: "that umpire" had a serious gambling problem, and some of his bookies were drug dealers.

EDIT: "imp" in this case is not a typo.

You are still bothered by that. It was a bad deal but that was in 97 or 98. I didnt

Can't speak for anyone else but since I was a kid at the time and the O's stunk for the remainder of my childhood and my entire adult life since that play up through 2012, that kid is the face and embodiment of my hatred of the Yankees.

Yes I'm still bothered by that. I'm also grateful for having grown up in the 60's and 70's watching the truly great Orioles teams. The effect of the past can work both ways can't it?

I'll be honest, I was born in '94 and am not old enough to remember the incident. My dad always told me about it and how it shifted the momentum of the game and series. After seeing it replayed over and over, I now also hate Maier. Everytime I see it I just want to smack that smug look off of his and all the fans faces that we're celebrating his cheating.

I'm sure he's a perfectly nice guy. What O's fan would have taken back something similar? Hell no! You'd still be an O's fan, and you'd still want that Yankees loss, especially if you helped cause it! Get real.

Really, it's time for O's fans to get over it. It's Two Thousand Fourteen, y'all.

...no. For example:

"Which one of you --ssies uses a 19-ounce bat?" was the first thing I ever heard him say. He had been sent to our troop to help one of the more senior members of the staff conduct running drills and pitch BP for the last two days of camp. It was the summer of 2002, and I was a camper at Baseball Fever, in Demarest, N.J. Maier was only 17, but to a bunch of 12-year-olds, he was an adult. Someone whose authority we were under. Someone who had just called us --ssies.

Bad language at baseball camp was by no means uncommon. At least five times a day we were told to "cut out the bull----." Any injury, no matter how minor, gave you license to let out a "f---." But never was the swearing directed from a coach to camper, or vice versa. Compounded by the fact that "--ssy" is one of those words that arbitrarily falls just outside the boundaries of good taste, the question was extra jarring.

"You can't swear at us," someone objected from the far end of the bench.

"--ssy isn't a curse," he responded, holding the bat like a rifle, staring down the barrel at the objector. "It's a vagina." I'm not saying he used to burn ants with a magnifying glass as a child, but that was the impression that I got. He seemed joyless, a miserable sack of self-pity. Maybe I feel that way only in hindsight, knowing what I know, but at the time I knew I didn't like him.

"What's your name again?" another camper asked.

"Coach Maier."

The rest of the story is well worth a read.

...no. For example:

The rest of the story is well worth a read.

He is an impostor, with a phony life, and two generations of Baltimore fans have had their lives changed by him. It was a accident, I get it. Then treat it like an accident and stop living like a hero over it.

So we're judging a guy based on how he acted as a 17-year old? What were you like as a 17-year old?

Regardless of how I answer a ridiculous question, on what basis could you believe my response?

You said you're "sure" that he's a perfectly nice guy. You're sure. That he's a "perfectly nice" guy. Not an average guy. Not just another dude, maybe one with issues (or better yet, someone you don't actually know at all), but a "nice" person.

Well, I provided some outside support for my opinion. Where's yours?

I don't have any support, because I don't care. You are taking my "sure" far too literally. He's just a guy. I certainly am not going to judge him on being a clown 17 year old, nor am I going to judge him on obviously wanting the Yankees to win as a Yankees fan.

If you don't care, then you shouldn't have any cause to judge (or take an opinion concerning) other people who do take offense to who he is and how he acted (not just as a kid, but in subsequent interviews recounting the event).

He didn't just want the Yankees to win. He interfered directly and substantially in a ML championship series. And he tended to remain an ass about that fact years after it happened.

You don't have an opinion? OK...other people do. So what's your horse doing in this race, exactly?

Archived