Reminded of Maier again.

Bahama O's Fan

I'm sorry - as a guy who is my senior, I kind of can't believe you think that's the right thing to do. When is it appropriate to "just judge" someone out of anger or spite without having any real basis with which to judge? Is that something you would tell a child to do?

If I were instructing a child how to live their life, I would point out that fellow as an example of a path not to take. Please understand. I do not like anything about that fellow. I do believe that he should be forgiven his mistake at age 12. But stop living off it's rewards.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry - as a guy who is my senior, I kind of can't believe you think that's the right thing to do. When is it appropriate to "just judge" someone out of anger or spite without having any real basis with which to judge? Is that something you would tell a child to do?

He has decided to live the wonderful life that being a public figure and the hero of the Yankees has given him. I can judge that. And when did I ever let on that I was not spiteful ;)

First of all, he didn't intend to directly interfere, that much is obvious. Let's start there - he reacted.

Then, he decided he liked that it happened because it made his life better and the Yankees won. Can't really fault him there, either.

I don't have a horse in the race, I just think it's silly that he's public enemy #1. I think it's immature that we continue to do that about something that happened so long ago. We're beating up on a guy in a message board essentially because he's a Yankees fan. I think that's wrong. And I think it's an embarrassing thing that O's fans need to stop doing.

Just my opinion. You're welcome to yours.

No. There are plenty of Yankees fans who remain nameless, faceless, non-issues, and rightly so. In fact, I have no idea who the overwhelming majority of Yankees fans are, and that's because the overwhelming majority of Yankees fans don't interfere when games are being played, such as by running onto the field, taking balls away from players, etc.

Maier was smug about cheating. It wasn't as simple as "his team won." In one game, he actually helped his team cheat its way to victory. And got away with it.

I don't wake up every morning and grumble something incoherent and angry about Jeff Maier, but, when I do hear his name, I will call him an ---hole before returning to whatever I was doing at the time. And I won't feel bad about that. A passing curse. Not something on which to dwell, not something that needs to be folded away and forgotten, either.

Baltimore has a sour grapes complex that it needs to seriously get in check, because it's a bad look. Get over it. Stop judging people based on how they decide to live their law-abiding lives and by what team they choose to support.

It is part of being a part of the greatest fan base on the planet. You don't choose to like that. I get it. But it's part of who we are and what makes us tough enough to stay together as a clan for over a decade of losing baseball and horrible mismanagement. I'm glad to be an Orioles fan. I am proud of who we are and the camaraderie that we share.

So he won the lottery a little bit and decided to capitalize on it. So what? Aren't what the PED guys doing even worse? Breaking not only the rules of the game, but also the law, and then getting handsomely rewarded for it?

I cannot, and will not, classify catching a baseball as a mistake.

He was 12. He knew that he was not to interfere with a ball in play. Which it was. That was the mistake.

Also.

He dropped the ball.

Like any Baltimore fan would have done differently if it was the opposite scenario? No, the City of Baltimore would laud the guy like a hero just like New York did. And he'd obviously never take it back.

Put yourself in his shoes - you'd have done the same and acted the same. Guarantee.

Baltimore has a sour grapes complex that it needs to seriously get in check, because it's a bad look. Get over it. Stop judging people based on how they decide to live their law-abiding lives and by what team they choose to support. You don't know this guy. You don't know his family, or if he leads a good life. What we know is that he caught a ball and pissed us off a million years ago.

It's embarrassing that we still care. It really is. It's sad.

We are not talking about punching Jeter to make him drop the ball when he dives in the stands to catch it. We are talking about reaching on to the field and altering the path of a ball in play. They teach you about that the first time you go to a game as a kid.

He's a kid. I forgive the kid. He is the hero of the Yankee fanbase again today. That, I cannot abide.

Oh, and it sounds like he is a closet Red Sox band-wagoner since the Yankees haven't gotten a ring lately.

If I were instructing a child how to live their life, I would point out that fellow as an example of a path not to take. Please understand. I do not like anything about that fellow. I do believe that he should be forgiven his mistake at age 12. But stop living off it's rewards.
Alright, well that's not exactly what you said a minute ago.

It really is the same thing.

Who does? No one taught me that. There's no stadium police checking if it's the kid's first game and telling him not to interfere with balls.

My dad told me to bring a glove in case one is hit my way. That's it. It's beyond ridiculous to think any child would think first of the rules of the baseball game, and second of the desire to catch a ball.

See ball, catch ball. That's all that's happening. That's all that SHOULD be happening.

You were never taught to stay out of the field of play? I forgive you for liking Maier then. I thought you knew.

I hold no hard feelings towards the kid; any kid would do that. I am upset that the ump made a bad call that turned the tide of the series. I was born in 78, and didn't get introduced to O's baseball until I was almost 10. The mid-90's was my first taste of winning O's baseball. It was soon gone and we went into a downward spiral for many years. Only in 2012 did we start to come back to life properly. Sorry, but I feel (right or not) that one play changed our destiny for a long time and exposed us to years of losing (that's probably not a rational thought, but what fans are rational?)

I never sat close enough for that to even be a factor. I have no idea if my dad ever told me specifically that. I'm sure at some point I figured it out.

I don't "like" Maier, and never said I did. I dislike that we're holding 12 year olds accountable for wanting a baseball. I think that is so sad.

I forgave him for that. I judge his dog and pony show. I understand that you think my dislike of the event, the aftermath, and the "chip" that I carry is unseemly. I am certain that if the umpires had not blown that call, and the kid had faded into anonymity, that I would not feel this way. But they didn't, He hasn't. And I will rant about him every time they bring him forward as the great Jeterian hero that he tries to be.

See, but it needs no forgiving. Because it was never a mistake.

It's fine if you don't like dog and pony show. I'm not saying I do, either. I'm just saying he really isn't doing anything wrong. And if it were an O's fan doing the same, we would not be having this debate.

Ask Bartman what happens when it's an Orioles fan that does it.

See, but it needs no forgiving. Because it was never a mistake.

It's fine if you don't like dog and pony show. I'm not saying I do, either. I'm just saying he really isn't doing anything wrong. And if it were an O's fan doing the same, we would not be having this debate.

Please understand, every time that someone tries to defend Maier, I'll rant.

Archived