Anyone See Steve Pearce?

Rene88

He may have no desire to return to the Orioles, but he's not exactly in a position to be stubborn/play hardball about it.

Even though he has played parts of 8 seasons in the majors, his service time is only a little over 4 years due to the fact that he has been up and down so much between AAA and the majors, and he has never made more than $700,000 in a season.

Plus, he's a career .237 hitter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pearcst01.shtml

So at 31 years-old, and with only so much time left in his major league career, Pearce is a player that plays for whoever will take him.

I'm not saying that that is necessarily a good thing, or fair, I'm simply pointing out the reality of his situation.

If I were Pearce, I'd be pissed at the Orioles. And you do understand that the Orioles still have to pay Pearce the balance of the $850K they owe him on his contract. So despite your prodigious analysis, my guess is he may be quite willing to sign a minor league deal with another team and hope to get a call up. But, only time will tell.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He may have no desire to return to the Orioles, but he's not exactly in a position to be stubborn/play hardball about it.

Even though he has played parts of 8 seasons in the majors, his service time is only a little over 4 years due to the fact that he has been up and down so much between AAA and the majors, and he has never made more than $700,000 in a season.

Plus, he's a career .237 hitter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pearcst01.shtml

So at 31 years-old, and with only so much time left in his major league career, Pearce is a player that plays for whoever will take him.

I'm not saying that that is necessarily a good thing, or fair, I'm simply pointing out the reality of his situation.

If I were Pearce, I'd be pissed at the Orioles. And you do understand that the Orioles still have to pay Pearce the balance of the $850K they owe him on his contract. So despite your prodigious analysis, my guess is he may be quite willing to sign a minor league deal with another team and hope to get a call up. But, only time will tell.

Prodigious analysts ??? Yeah, I went really deep by pointing out the obvious in my last post.

Whatever you say.

Steve Pearce should be PISSED, and hence, he should take his anger out on the Orioles by refusing to play for those bastards ever again. RAH !!! :cussing:

If Pearce has the option of returning to the O's, he'll be offered an everyday job for at least a couple of weeks. That's a perfect showcase for him. He'd be foolish to not do it. Any team with a starting opportunity for him would have traded a ptbnl for him by now.

If Pearce has the option of returning to the O's, he'll be offered an everyday job for at least a couple of weeks. That's a perfect showcase for him. He'd be foolish to not do it. Any team with a starting opportunity for him would have traded a ptbnl for him by now.

I agree with this. Pearce can't do better than a starting 1B job until Davis comes back. And I doubt he is mad at the team that put him of the major league roster to start the season.

I agree with this. Pearce can't do better than a starting 1B job until Davis comes back. And I doubt he is mad at the team that put him of the major league roster to start the season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-theory-on-orioles-chris-davis-steve-pearce-20140428,0,4914668.story' rel="external nofollow">

Dan Connolly explains why we were incorrect about being able to bring Pearce back within a 30 day window. And what Dan Duquette did to correct that.

And maybe Steve Pearce has zero desire to return to the team that didn't play him, waived him, not once, but twice, and then unceremoniously released him.

Turns out that the second release was quite ceremonious. Because doing so at that time and playing Sunday a man down may allow them to resign him today.

And maybe Steve Pearce has zero desire to return to the team that didn't play him, waived him, not once, but twice, and then unceremoniously released him.
Turns out that the second release was quite ceremonious. Because doing so at that time and playing Sunday a man down may allow them to resign him today.

Good article, and I agree with this statement:

"With the combination of manager Buck Showalter and executive vice president Dan Duquette at the helm, there's probably no team in baseball more diligent about shuffling the organization's rosters to make sure the major league team is properly equipped for the next game."

And, the Orioles could conceivably re-sign Pearce this afternoon.

Using their (Bucky and Danny) heads, indeed.

The Orioles want to re-sign Steve Pearce, but he would be eligible to play for them right away only if the roster remains at 24 players. Machado would be the 25th. Therefore, the Orioles must reach agreement with Pearce before Machado is activated.

Per Roch

Good article, and I agree with this statement:

"With the combination of manager Buck Showalter and executive vice president Dan Duquette at the helm, there's probably no team in baseball more diligent about shuffling the organization's rosters to make sure the major league team is properly equipped for the next game."

And, the Orioles could conceivably re-sign Pearce this afternoon.

Using their (Bucky and Danny) heads, indeed.

Per Roch

And they did. I guess he likes us. I guess our front office is relatively savvy.

So maybe they have wink wink nudge nudge deal?
And they did. I guess he likes us. I guess our front office is relatively savvy.

Roch says another team claimed him but he elected free agency. Promptly signed with us.

[video=youtube;ona-RhLfRfc]

Archived