Britt's Birdwatch: Adam Jones Talks Fans on the Field

weams

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hope they are only reviewing his comments to make sure they were sufficiently awesome.

Eh. I doubt much of a review is going on. The comments got the media into a tizzy, the media bugged the MLB offices, so the brass has to pretend they're "looking into it." A lot to do about nothing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jones has no worries about MLB looking into his comments. Says cant suspend him for stating an opinion.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">April 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes, they can. They won't, but they can.

I'm tired of people thinking that the 1st amendment protects them from any repercussions from their employer. The 1st amendment protects you from any repercussions from the government.

I just thought Adam came off a little too malicious. When he mentioned the broken ankle, he then says he wished they broke their femur, plus he said it with a little bit of an anger tremble. I didn't like the way he came off personally. You're really gonna wish a brutal injury on someone for committing what is tantamount to a victimless crime? And no, I don't agree with tazing people for this. It would not deter anyone. No one is thinking about the consequences when they do these things. They are drunk. I'm not saying I condone what they did, but I've been wasted at a game before and it crossed my mind. People just seem so eager to inflict their rage and punishment to anyone who would dare get to drunk and do something really dumb. Relax. No one deserves to get tazed, or spiked, or bones broken. They will be punished. They did not put any one in danger no matter what anyone's perception of it was. You can't cite a few very rare instances and use them as the norm. To assume everyone who jumps on the field is dangerous is like assuming every time I order food, it gets spit in. That's no way to live.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>More Adam Jones: "I don't condone violence or want to inflict pain on anyone, but if you put me in danger, I have no choice"</p>— Mad Dog Sports Radio (@MadDogRadio) <a href="

Yes, running on the field is putting Adam Jones in danger. Good god, what a sensationalist.

Wishing bodily harm, broken bones, vomit, urine, etc....I'm sorry, but Jones looks like a prima donna in all of this.

Haha. I tend to think if he didn't curse in those comments, they probably wouldn't have given it much thought. God forbid a player uses a profanity, though.

I'd imagine it's the inflicting bodily harm amongst other odd choice words that is getting the league involved.

Yes, they can. They won't, but they can.

I'm tired of people thinking that the 1st amendment protects them from any repercussions from their employer. The 1st amendment protects you from any repercussions from the government.

I don't think Adam is saying this as a 1st Amendment thing (please correct me if I'm wrong). The MLBPA has collectively bargained what a player can and can't be suspended for. These comments may draw a fine, but I doubt that they fall anywhere near suspension-worthy.

I just thought Adam came off a little too malicious. When he mentioned the broken ankle, he then says he wished they broke their femur, plus he said it with a little bit of an anger tremble. I didn't like the way he came off personally. You're really gonna wish a brutal injury on someone for committing what is tantamount to a victimless crime? And no, I don't agree with tazing people for this. It would not deter anyone. No one is thinking about the consequences when they do these things. They are drunk. I'm not saying I condone what they did, but I've been wasted at a game before and it crossed my mind. People just seem so eager to inflict their rage and punishment to anyone who would dare get to drunk and do something really dumb. Relax. No one deserves to get tazed, or spiked, or bones broken. They will be punished. They did not put any one in danger no matter what anyone's perception of it was. You can't cite a few very rare instances and use them as the norm. To assume everyone who jumps on the field is dangerous is like assuming every time I order food, it gets spit in. That's no way to live.

Fans jumping on the field can't help the game. It can only hurt the game.

Being drunk isn't a good excuse. It should NEVER happen. A single occurrence is too much and baseball (and sports in general) have already had multiple issues.

When you are intoxicated, there are actual harmless things you can do that do not inconvenience other people or make them feel like they are in danger.

I don't think Adam is saying this as a 1st Amendment thing (please correct me if I'm wrong). The MLBPA has collectively bargained what a player can and can't be suspended for. These comments may draw a fine, but I doubt that they fall anywhere near suspension-worthy.

It was in a separate tweet:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB was looking into Jones comments, but he said he wasn't worried about punishment. "What are they going to do?" Cited free speech.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

Yes, running on the field is putting Adam Jones in danger. Good god, what a sensationalist.

Yeah it's tough to find athletes being injured by fans..............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports

Some of the listed incidents were athletes adding fuel to a fire but many incidents were crazy fans attacking players or umpires on the field of play.

Some of the listed incidents were athletes adding fuel to a fire but many incidents were crazy fans attacking players or umpires on the field of play.

Ignorance is clearly bliss for some people.

Rare exceptions. How many fans run onto fields in a given year? Hundreds?

Archived