Britt's Birdwatch: Adam Jones Talks Fans on the Field

weams

Ignorance is clearly bliss for some people.

It's not ignorance, it's about saying that Jones is being a sensationalist. And also wishing bodily harm. Broken bones. Vomit. Urination. Amongst other things. Then you have guys like Ryan Flaherty who shrug and essentially think it's not big deal...and gasp...even funny.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was in a separate tweet:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB was looking into Jones comments, but he said he wasn't worried about punishment. "What are they going to do?" Cited free speech.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">April 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks for clearing that up.

It's not ignorance, it's about saying that Jones is being a sensationalist. And also wishing bodily harm. Broken bones. Vomit. Urination. Amongst other things. Then you have guys like Ryan Flaherty who shrug and essentially think it's not big deal...and gasp...even funny.

That's the whole thing. You think it's funny, so that makes it ok. It's like arguing with people about the value of fighting in hockey. Some people just like it and try to rationalize it. There is no good rationale.

That's the whole thing. You think it's funny, so that makes it ok. It's like arguing with people about the value of fighting in hockey. Some people just like it and try to rationalize it. There is no good rationale.

No, I think it's funny, but I also see why some players can get upset about it. But I think Jones was way, way, way, WAY over the top about it. Hence why I used sensationalist.

Yeah it's tough to find athletes being injured by fans..............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_violent_spectator_incidents_in_sports

Some of the listed incidents were athletes adding fuel to a fire but many incidents were crazy fans attacking players or umpires on the field of play.

The match where Port Said's al-Masry beat Cairo's Al-Ahly 3–1. Witnesses said trouble broke out when Ahly fans unfurled banners insulting Port Said, and an Ahly supporter descended onto the pitch carrying an iron bar. Al-Masry fans reacted first by attacking Ahli players, then opposing fans. Fights from the stands poured out onto the field, causing riots and eventual civil unrest. The rioting resulted in 73 deaths and at least 1,000 injured, making it the worst disaster in the history of soccer in that nation

This one is a easily conceivable scenario ...

Sorry it's hard for me to feel sympathy for drunken morons. I am with AJ on this. The man is playing a very demanding game at a high level I don't blame him for saying what he thinks. If he ever actually spikes some idiot then it's a different story but why get upset over trash talking about drunken morons who ruin it for everyone else, unless you think what they do is more interesting than the game.

Yes, they can. They won't, but they can.

I'm tired of people thinking that the 1st amendment protects them from any repercussions from their employer. The 1st amendment protects you from any repercussions from the government.

You're kidding right?

I don't know if he's being sensational. I think of Monica Seles. It CAN happen. Adam is a passionate guy and it did come off angry. That being said, I'd hate to think what would be going on right now if someone like Luke Scott were to make the same comments.

The sentiments of this thread would be very different.

About MLB or the 1st amendment? Bear in mind that I'm speaking in general terms of what MLB has the "right" to do when an employer states an opinion, and not that MLB would really suspend Jones for those specific comments.
A recent President put things in their real, if not necessarily proper, perspective when he allegedly said "the Constitution? it's just a GD piece of paper". Whether he actually said that or not, the Patriot Act makes it so.

A recent President put things in their real, if not necessarily proper, perspective when he allegedly said "the Constitution? it's just a GD piece of paper". Whether he actually said that or not, the Patriot Act makes it so.

I understand that, but what does it have to do with what I said? You're the one who quoted my statement.

Jones said that he was not afraid of repercussions from his employer due to his freedom of speech. That is incorrect. The essence of "freedom of speech" is what I said, though I have the historical perspective to understand that the government has violated that right with arguments like "preserving the Union" and "protecting U.S. citizens" in the past.

I understand that, but what does it have to do with what I said? You're the one who quoted my statement.

Jones said that he was not afraid of repercussions from his employer due to his freedom of speech. That is incorrect. The essence of "freedom of speech" is what I said, though I have the historical perspective to understand that the government has violated that right with arguments like "preserving the Union" and "protecting U.S. citizens" in the past.

You said "The 1st amendment protects you from any repercussions from the government." The Patriot Act renders that statement false, by essentially saying that the Constitution can be trumped by executive order.

You said "The 1st amendment protects you from any repercussions from the government." The Patriot Act renders that statement false, by essentially saying that the Constitution can be trumped by executive order.

That is a political interpretation. Please. We don't do that here.

Archived