The Orioles are a game out of first. A series win or sweep could make them the leader

weams

Yea, I was prepping a 17-paragraph post on how DD, if he plays his cards just right, could sell off everyone over 24 and potentially get back in contention by 2019.

If they could move that timetable up to right now I guess that's ok.

I would have read it in wonder.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I look at it, I don't even worry about the competition until very late in the year. We need to play .555 - .575 baseball to make the playoffs (90-93 wins). If our winning percentage is in that range or higher, we are doing fine, and if we are below that, we need to make up ground. At 4-5 we're basically a game below where we need to be. If we went 5-4 every 9 games, we'd win 90. But as I said, this time of year it's more about how we are playing than what our record is, and we are starting to play better, though the starting pitching needs to get into gear.

The way I look at it, I don't even worry about the competition until very late in the year. We need to play .555 - .575 baseball to make the playoffs (90-93 wins). If our winning percentage is in that range or higher, we are doing fine, and if we are below that, we need to make up ground. At 4-5 we're basically a game below where we need to be. If we went 5-4 every 9 games, we'd win 90. But as I said, this time of year it's more about how we are playing than what our record is, and we are starting to play better, though the starting pitching needs to get into gear.

Very good summary.

The 1980 Orioles didn't crack .500 until June 17th. They went on to win 100 games (and finish 2nd). Yes, every game counts, but teams rarely lock up a playoff spot in April like the 1984 Tigers did. It seems there are more teams that knock themselves out of contention by getting off to a bad start from which they can't recover later. As long as we're within striking distance, I don't care about standings until July.

Why does anybody care what the standings look like right now? The Orioles have been in first place or close to it multiple times over the years due to hot starts, and look how that ended. It means absolutely nothing, and out of all the things that could be discussed to drum up conversation, this is not one of them.

Why does anybody care what the standings look like right now? The Orioles have been in first place or close to it multiple times over the years due to hot starts, and look how that ended. It means absolutely nothing, and out of all the things that could be discussed to drum up conversation, this is not one of them.

I am sure of this - these threads are makin' me mad....:cussing: ;)

Ladies and gentlemen ...... pinch-hitting for OFFNY: SCOTT o
Hard to imagine a team with deep pockets like the Yankees not being able to buy themselves a good bullpen. I agree that they will probably blow a bunch of games as well.

Oh, that was a little inside joke. Scott did the game thread last night because I was at the game, hence, the "pinch-hitting."

Still, your posts is a good one. :cool:

Yea, I was prepping a 17-paragraph post on how DD, if he plays his cards just right, could sell off everyone over 24 and potentially get back in contention by 2019.

If they could move that timetable up to right now I guess that's ok.

Wow, 17 paragraphs. I was just going to trade Machado for an uber prospect.

Archived