vs. BLUE JAYS, 4/11

OFFNY

Ehhh, I didn't mean that literally. No, I don' think that they were trying to do that. It was an expression. Did you really need me to confirm that? No, I don't think that Schoop (or Flaherty) were trying to entertain the crowd with buffoonery. They had a horrible defensive inning, which led to 2 runs, and numerous extra pitches from Tillman.

And I think you are being a bit hard on a kid that doesn't have a reputation as a defensive whiz, who is playing out of position, in extremely wet conditions.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's pretty simple.

1. Has a team ever won a game while committing two errors in an inning?

2. Has a team ever won a game while scoring zero runs?

1. The Orioles had a run that they should have scored if not for another error, which I also cited several times, but which you continue to ignore.

2. Has a team ever won a 1-0 game?

Your claiming that the loss is "on the bats" while excusing the 3 errors in one inning (and yes, unless you are a scorekeeper that is obligated to not assume a double play, they essentially made three errors in one inning) is not accurate, nor objective.

It was a team loss, that was punctuated by.

A. 3 errors in one inning.

B. A an inexplicable decision by the 3rd base coach not to send the runner home on a single with 2 outs.

C. Cold bats.

And also perhaps, D. A bit of bad luck, in that 3 potential home runs (2 by Chris Davis, 1 by Adam Jones) were held up by a very strong wind.

And I think you are being a bit hard on a kid that doesn't have a reputation as a defensive whiz, who is playing out of position, in extremely wet conditions.

Maybe you are correct in that I am being a bit hard on our talented young rookie. And maybe on Flaherty also, who had the unofficial error, and who is otherwise excellent defensively. That wasn't my intention.

However, my point still stands in regard to the errors (and the mental error by Dickerson) being major factors in last night's loss, which should not simply be attributed to "Errors happen, this loss is on the bats." It was an unusually horrible inning on defense, an inexplicable decision by the 3rd base coach which cost us a run, and the bats being cold (plus a bit of bad luck in regard to the wind holding up 3 potential Oriole home runs) which all cumulatively spelled doom for the Orioles last night.

Maybe you are correct in that I am being a bit hard on our talented young rookie. And maybe on Flaherty also, who had the unofficial error, and who is otherwise excellent defensively. That wasn't my intention.

However, my point still stands in regard to the errors (and the mental error by Dickerson) being major factors in last night's loss, which should not simply be attributed to "Errors happen, this loss is on the bats." It was an unusually horrible inning on defense, an inexplicable decision by the 3rd base coach which cost us a run, and the bats being cold (plus a bit of bad luck in regard to the wind holding up 3 potential Oriole home runs) which all cumulatively spelled doom for the Orioles last night.

Sorry, errors do happen. That's the way the game is played. You play/watch long enough (I know we all have) you realize baseball sometimes deals you a hand you are unlikely to win. It would be great if we could pick and choose when each player has his inevitable errors, but alas the technology eludes us. Multiple players giving away at bats swinging out of the zone, to me, is much more frustrating than a defender struggling for an inning.

It's surprising to me that so many are so angry/frustrated with Schoop in particular, but maybe this is just venting in a game thread.

Sorry, errors do happen.

Yes, errors happen.

As do offenses going cold for a game, and giving away the one run that they had in their pockets by a bad decision by the 3rd-base coach.

You putting the loss squarely on the offense being cold is as absurd as blaming the loss squarely on the 3 errors in one inning (costing the team 2 runs), and on the 3rd base coach's blunder (costing the team one run.) The loss was a combinations of all of these major factors ........ which I cited in several of my previous posts, while you continue to insist that the errors should simply be overlooked as "something that happens," while the lack of offense should be held entirely accountable.

It was a team loss, that was punctuated by.

A. 3 errors in one inning.

B. A an inexplicable decision by the 3rd base coach not to send the runner home on a single with 2 outs.

C. Cold bats.

And also perhaps, D. A bit of bad luck, in that 3 potential home runs (2 by Chris Davis, 1 by Adam Jones) were held up by a very strong wind.

Archived