Is Adam Jones focused too much on being a celebrity this year?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough.

I think as far as statistics go, how well he will play this year is more likely to be indicated by more recent years than the years before them.

Also on BBRef he's been worth 0.4 WAR so far. He's on pace for 6.4 WAR which is like a $35 million player.

Im not trying to bash AJ. I love Adam. I just feel he has the talent level to be a superstar. I feel he hasn't reached his potential. If he could just have better discipline.

Im not trying to bash AJ. I love Adam. I just feel he has the talent level to be a superstar. I feel he hasn't reached his potential. If he could just have better discipline.

"If he could just have better discipline" is one of those "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" statements. I look at his "potential" in a different way than you because I think it's outside of his potential to improve his plate discipline. At this point in his development he is pretty much a finished product. I don't think there's much potential he'll walk 40 times more than he did last year.

And the thread title is because someone brought it up on the radio the other day. Just wanted to hear some thoughts on it.

A lot of commentary on sports radio is pretty much garbage.

If you want an indication Adam Jones is already a superstar, look how people can turn relatively benign comments of his into manufactured outrage :laughlol:

A lot of commentary on sports radio is pretty much garbage.

If you want an indication Adam Jones is already a superstar, look how people can turn relatively benign comments of his into manufactured outrage :laughlol:

I can agree there. Steve Davis the other morning compared someone running out on a baseball field to a child molester.

I can agree there. Steve Davis the other morning compared someone running out on a baseball field to a child molester.

For some reason I decided to Google Steve Davis and I found a professional snooker player named as such. And I had no idea what snooker even was and apparently this guy is like the Greg Maddux of snooker and was awarded the Order of the British Empire?

Feel free to ignore it then. Since you don't have anything to add to it.

Talking sports on the Radio has to be one of the most muckraking occupations on the planet. How you come up with enough controversial topics to fill three and four hour slots day after day and make it compelling is beyond my understanding.

I feel like the title of this thread doesn't match the nature of this thread. The title said one thing, then the op suggested that it's just pointing out that jones is what he is. But make no mistake, that's not at all what the title is suggesting. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

I knew you did not have that kind of trolling in you. Makes perfect sense.
It would be unnatural for any player not to have a bit of an ego performing in front of ten of thousands of people every game, the home crowd cheering you on. Still, the answer is "no, he's not letting celebrity go to his head."

For some reason I decided to Google Steve Davis and I found a professional snooker player named as such. And I had no idea what snooker even was and apparently this guy is like the Greg Maddux of snooker and was awarded the Order of the British Empire?

Unfortunately for our Steve Davis, he is not the exalted former snooker champion.

It would be unnatural for any player not to have a bit of an ego performing in front of ten of thousands of people every game, the home crowd cheering you on. Still, the answer is "no, he's not letting celebrity go to his head."

Adam probably has a bit bigger ego than the average athlete. But he's a great guy. And a fine citizen. And he's ours.

Adam probably has a bit bigger ego than the average athlete. But he's a great guy. And a fine citizen. And he's ours.

I agree to an extent but I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Adam on more than one occasion in different settings and he is a great guy. Does he have an ego? YES. But it's more harmless than anything. He is a great asset to the community and to our ball club. He has developed strong Baltimore roots and doesn't just talk the talk. I honestly want my favorite athlete to have an ego. I would call it more of a swagger. He's no Ricky Henderson.

Archived