Is Adam Jones focused too much on being a celebrity this year?

Dark Helmet

Oh He's got a HUGE head. At an autograph signing where I was paying $100 to get a jersey signed for my nephew, I asked him to signed on the front. I was one the really cool WBC USA Jerseys and the front was way cooler looking than the back. He refused and then said I only sign the 1 of the 10 on the back. I asked why that was and he said "I'm certainly not gonna signed the 0, I'm not a zero, I'm a #1 so I sign the 1."

Everyone that was at the signing that day was extremely disappointed. He barely paid any attention to the people who were paying big bucks to see him and wouldn't even take a photo with a kid!

Wow, huge inferiority complex mixed with a HUGE Head. I like Adam as a ballplayer (because he's an Oriole) but as a person I think he's a total jerk.

I think for pay signings are exactly what you get. A transaction. Some guys try to personalize, but I would not expect it. You should go to Cooperstown some induction week and see what cattle you become.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Jones may be feeling "taken" by his contract extension in a time when unproven

Pitchers like Tanaka get $150M and Granderson gets $140M. He could have gotten $100M on the open market, no question. I was suprised when he signed for less with the O's.

Jones had never had an .800 OPS season when he signed his deal. His market value is much higher today than it was when he signed. And where did you get the idea that Granderson signed a $140 mm deal? He signed for 4/$60 mm.

How can you say im wrong then? You don't know how he will be the rest of the year either. His track record is that he's a sub .800 OPS player. Thats not good for our #4 hitter. Thats my point. Markakis gets blasted for being a disappointment.

Markakis IS a disappointment. He's an overrated slap hitter who's offensive contribution is primarily bases empty doubles, and a few extra BB's/yr.

Jones on the other hand has hit 30+ bombs the last 2 years, w/over 100 rbi's last season. Oh and BTW he also plays a more demanding defensive position than Markakis. This team can win without Markakis. They couldn't win without Jones.

And since you brought this up after 10 games, how do Nick's stats look so far this year?

Markakis IS a disappointment. He's an overrated slap hitter who's offensive contribution is primarily bases empty doubles, and a few extra BB's/yr.

Jones on the other hand has hit 30+ bombs the last 2 years, w/over 100 rbi's last season. Oh and BTW he also plays a more demanding defensive position than Markakis. This team can win without Markakis. They couldn't win without Jones.

And since you brought this up after 10 games, how do Nick's stats look so far this year?

Well at least your three posts have been consistent.

And by the way, I agree with many others. This thread, and its premise are ridiculous. But in three posts, you are showing an agenda.

Well at least your three posts have been consistent.

And by the way, I agree with many others. This thread, and its premise are ridiculous. But in three posts, you are showing an agenda.

Yeah. I agree.

Hey everyone, I'm just curious. It seems like some people in this town and on this forum refuse to give Adam Jones any credit. Here's a guy who's won 3 Gold Gloves as a center fielder, hits for power drives in runs, has really become involved with the community, and is the clubhouse leader. Yet some people keep whining about him. He chases too many pitches, he blows bubbles in center field, he talks too much trash, etc.

Meanwhile Markakis is in right field stealing the teams money. He hits about .280-.285, below average power, basically just draws a bunch of walks and hits mostly bases empty doubles. IMHO he doesn't provide nearly enough offense for his position or his salary. But he gets a free pass from everyone, including the local media. I remember Jim Palmer comparing Markakis to George Brett. Are you serious? On his best day Markakis isn't half the player Brett was. But the fans here love him, he doesn't get half the flak Jones does, even though Jones is a helluva lot better player.

What am I missing here? Is it a racial thing? I don't get it.

I'd rather have him listening to Jones, than that overrated slap hitter Markakis

HA HA HA. You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

Last night, Dustin McGowan's E.R.A. was 13.50 before the start of the game.

6.33 shutout innings later, his E.R.A. was all the way down to 4.00.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=mcgowdu01&t=p&year=2014

If McGowan keeps this pace up, he'll wind up being more legendary than Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson.

Well, this offense is making everyone look like a HOF P.

I stopped reading the thread after getting through the above gem. On April 8th, A.J.'s BA was .303, and his OPS was .866. Two games later A.J.'s numbers were/are .270 BA and .776 OPS. That's because it's the middle of freakin' April, and individual games can result in huge "overall" performance swings.

Jones hasn't been a sub-.800 OPS player since 2011, and his contract is a bargain for what similar production would cost on the open market.

This is one of the worst threads I've seen in a long time.

HA HA HA. You ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

Last night, Dustin McGowan's E.R.A. was 13.50 before the start of the game.

6.33 shutout innings later, his E.R.A. was all the way down to 4.00.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=mcgowdu01&t=p&year=2014

If McGowan keeps this pace up, he'll wind up being more legendary than Sandy Koufax and Walter Johnson.

Well, this offense is making everyone look like a Hall-of-Fame pitcher.

Not the bottom of the order, though (Lombardozzi, Schoop, Flaherty, Lough.)

You can always count on them, even when the best pitchers in the league are opposing them.

I find it remarkable that there is still a "debate" over the value of Jones to this team/ organization.

He is easily one of the more valuable CF's in the game. Notice I did not say "best," or "most valuable," I mean he is easily a without-a-doubt everyday starting CF on virtually every team in the league (there are of course exceptions). He is an all-star caliber player. He is charismatic, he does good things for the community, by all accounts he seems to be a stand-up kinda guy and a positive presence in the clubhouse.

I find it amazing that there are still people who continue to torture logic and reason in an effort to deny this.

I find it remarkable that there is still a "debate" over the value of Jones to this team/ organization.

He is easily one of the more valuable CF's in the game. Notice I did not say "best," or "most valuable," I mean he is easily a without-a-doubt everyday starting CF on virtually every team in the league (there are of course exceptions). He is an all-star caliber player. He is charismatic, he does good things for the community, by all accounts he seems to be a stand-up kinda guy and a positive presence in the clubhouse.

I find it amazing that there are still people who continue to torture logic and reason in an effort to deny this.

I would find it remarkable if there wasn't. Every starter on the team as been the target of tortured logic used in pursuit of a poster's personal bias.

I would find it remarkable if there wasn't. Every starter on the team as been the target of tortured logic used in pursuit of a poster's personal bias.

I guess you didn't read the entire thread. I didn't know saying you actually like said player to equal a negative bias towards said player.

Jones has our RBI. He is fundamentally great.

Archived