Is Adam Jones focused too much on being a celebrity this year?

Dark Helmet

I guess you didn't read the entire thread. I didn't know saying you actually like said player to equal a negative bias towards said player.

I read the entire thread. I wasn't necessarily suggesting a personal bias on your part, but let's take a look at the logic in your OP within the context of 10 games into a new season and see what turns up.

AJ should be better than he is. (A debatable proposition)

AJ has been talking to the media a lot.

Therefore his media contact is the cause of his underperformance.

This kind of reasoning has launched a hundred thousand tabloid news stories over the years with no letup in sight. Raising this non-issue to the status of a thesis forces the question why? If there's no a bias against AJ - your statements to the contrary notwithstanding - then why construct this house of cards in the first place? No one on the board can shed any light on the subject because this kind of knowledge is unknowable short of AJ confessing that his comments to the media has affected his performance.

Do you think that his media contact has materially affected his performance?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones had never had an .800 OPS season when he signed his deal. His market value is much higher today than it was when he signed. And where did you get the idea that Granderson signed a $140 mm deal? He signed for 4/$60 mm.

Yeah I was off there. I may have confused Jones with Ellsbury who got $150M. Granderson at 4/60 is a simular deal.

You could put hyphens anywhere in there and it would still be true!

No but seriously I don't care if he chews gum or yells at reporters or yells at reporters with a mouthful of gum. The media blows and Adam is the best.

That's why I always loved Erik Bedard. Ask a stupid question, and he'll give you a stupid answer.

He hasn't been awful so far. But with his talent he should be better. The swinging at bad pitches is what it is at this point. But it seems he's doing a lot more talking and doing the mlb shows this year. Is AJ focused enough in everyone's opinion?

I don't know. He is what he is. Glad he is on the O's. He is very much a part of the

future O's. Along with Schoop and Manny.

Archived