Ubaldo Jimenez is Consistent

Old#5fan

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimenez is NOT consistent at all -- that's his very problem. He might pitch a month or two this season like gangbusters but we won't know when or for how long.

So far it looks like the Orioles have gambled and rolled snake eyes.

I don't know why the Orioles couldn't have gotten Burhle. He is durable, pitches to contact, works fast and throws strikes. Instead they waste their money on a guy who has major command issues. Right now his ERA is closer to 6 per game than 4. That is terrible.

I'm not going to start whining until he starts sucking into May. His track record shows he is poor in April. Could be the weather, could be getting his mechanics (somewhat) right. But he's a hell of a lot better than this.

That said, if we're going to sensationalize...let's sensationalize about how god awful this offense is. Scoring 3 runs off a so-so starting rotation this series is inexcusable.

Stats by month

April/March: 5.10 ERA, 1.541 WHIP, 361 OBP, 746 OPS

May: 3.89 ERA, 1.348 WHIP, 329 OBP, 692 OPS

June: 3.17 ERA, 1.301 WHIP, 314 OBP, 678 OPS

July: 4.11 ERA, 1.328 WHIP, 326 OBP, 700 OPS

August: 4.29 ERA, 1.380 WHIP, 332 OBP, 746 OPS

Sept/Oct: 3.47 ERA, 1.265 WHIP, 311 OBP, 640 OPS

Yes, it's brutal right now. He was beyond awful last year in April as well (7.13 ERA). He'll turn it around.

Stats by month

April/March: 5.10 ERA, 1.541 WHIP, 361 OBP, 746 OPS

May: 3.89 ERA, 1.348 WHIP, 329 OBP, 692 OPS

June: 3.17 ERA, 1.301 WHIP, 314 OBP, 678 OPS

July: 4.11 ERA, 1.328 WHIP, 326 OBP, 700 OPS

August: 4.29 ERA, 1.380 WHIP, 332 OBP, 746 OPS

Sept/Oct: 3.47 ERA, 1.265 WHIP, 311 OBP, 640 OPS

Yes, it's brutal right now. He was beyond awful last year in April as well (7.13 ERA). He'll turn it around.

Or he won't. A repeat of 2012 is a possibility. It certainly isn't a good sign that his home run rate is through the roof in APRIL.

He started spring training late..and he's a notorious slow starter. His mechanics need to be adjusted and Wieters needs to get acquainted with him better. That said, I don't expect a sterling 2014, but I do expect him to be closer to 2013 numbers when it's all said and done.

I'm guessing most people in Cleveland were having the same concerns last year to start the season, no?

He started spring training late..and he's a notorious slow starter. His mechanics need to be adjusted and Wieters needs to get acquainted with him better. That said, I don't expect a sterling 2014, but I do expect him to be closer to 2013 numbers when it's all said and done.

I'm guessing most people in Cleveland were having the same concerns last year to start the season, no?

They were not worried about having him under contract for three more years. :P

An Indians fan warned me about him. I still think it's a good signing. The Orioles needed to something to make the club better. It was a gamble, it may not work out, but I can't fault the Orioles for trying.

This thread is trash. The op has had it out for ubaldo, and thinks Nate mclouth, Scott Feldman and Jason Hammel are difference makers. Every time he's had a chance, he's championed those guys. He sits and waits for his chance to tell us how we should have kept mclouth, or hammel. Troll. The os finally took a risk and signed a pitcher to a semi big deal. He hasn't looked great yet, but 3 starts doesn't make a season so let's just hold off for a little while.

Archived