Ubaldo Jimenez is Consistent

Old#5fan

This is what the Orioles bought. Folks looking for consistency, or a pattern of behavior, from Jimenez are in for disappointment. Realize that each time he takes the mound he could be atrocious, dominant, and everything in between, and you won't be disappointed.

I was against the signing, but even so it's way to early to start claiming the move was a "failure". That determination will come two years in when we see a body of work. That said, is it frustrating to see the offense struggle after the team put its largest FA allotment into a notoriously inconsistent starting pitcher? Yes. Yes it is.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is what the Orioles bought. Folks looking for consistency, or a pattern of behavior, from Jimenez are in for disappointment. Realize that each time he takes the mound he could be atrocious, dominant, and everything in between, and you won't be disappointed.

I was against the signing, but even so it's way to early to start claiming the move was a "failure". That determination will come two years in when we see a body of work. That said, is it frustrating to see the offense struggle after the team put its largest FA allotment into a notoriously inconsistent starting pitcher? Yes. Yes it is.

The problem is, dominating, highly consistent pitchers A) don't hit the market often and B) when they do they cost a fortune.

The problem is, dominating, highly consistent pitchers A) don't hit the market often and B) when they do they cost a fortune.

I don't know what this is addressing, but yes I agree that consistently dominant pitchers rightfully command very large contracts in free agency.

*slow clap*

I'll personally be praying that he figures it out and turns it around rather than wishing injury on one of our own players. SMH.

Cmon, I don't wish an actual injury on anyone, but we all know that often times DL moves are made for "questionable" injuries.

Then where will we go for insightful post game analysis about him?

Try Palmer, he was rippping him a new one. Dempsey was playing good cop in saying he wasn't that bad, and he was certain he would turn it around and get it going.

Try Palmer, he was rippping him a new one. Dempsey was playing good cop in saying he wasn't that bad, and he was certain he would turn it around and get it going.
Why not interrupt you trolling briefly and take a look at his game logs from last year early in the season.

Not only that, but if you look at his career splits, April is by far his worst month of the season.

That doesn't really work. Just grabbed 2012 randomly and he was worse in May, July, and August than he was in April. There isn't a pattern there, although it would make us all feel a lot better if there was! :)

I don't know what this is addressing, but yes I agree that consistently dominant pitchers rightfully command very large contracts in free agency.

Just discussing the idea that he's a notoriously inconsistent starting pitcher. $12.5M per year is a lot of money, especially relative to the O's history, but he has a mean performance around that pay grade as we see on the open market, he just has a lot more variance then some of those guys. Much more dominating than some of them, but the ability to be pretty bad as well. I was simply pointing out that if Ubaldo were/had shown a long track record pitching to his potential at a high level of consistency, then he would have cost a LOT more. That is all.

That doesn't really work. Just grabbed 2012 randomly and he was worse in May, July, and August than he was in April. There isn't a pattern there, although it would make us all feel a lot better if there was! :)

I have been telling folks all along that WCS is the O's end up with the 2012 version.

Archived