Roch's Take

obannon35

Based on what it looks like SEA is willing to offer, the idea trade (for me) would be

Jones/Tillman/Sherill/Martinez

This is conditioned on Sherill or Walker being flipped for Lillibridge (the only reason I believe the rumor is BAL has little use for another LH in the 'pen, and he's mentioned a lot as a piece).

If you have Jones/Tillman/Lillibridge/Martinez, I honestly believe you are getting more quantity and more quality than Jones/Triunfel/Tillman. Martinez can be every bit the player Triunfel can. Slightly less "flashy" defense, but great hands. A larger frame that projects to more power and an already fluid swing that is producing linedrives to all fields at the low levels.

Now you'd have a CF for the ML team, a SS for the ML team hopefully by the end of the season, a power arm to add to a sick staff at Bowie and a projectable 3b in your low minors to slot in behind Costanzo on the depth chart (Rowell is 1b bound, and it's debatable Snyder can stick at 3b).

Give me Sherrill over Burras as the second lefty in the pen any day.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Orioles want something better as a second player than Sherill or Tillman, they may have to offer something better than Payton. Anyway, I'm not down on him like most here. He could help the Orioles next yr. as the 4th outfielder. He hits lefties and he hits well w/MOB.

It's my opinion only Bedard will be traded to Seattle.

Give me Sherrill over Burras as the second lefty in the pen any day.

I don't think it's a good use of assets. Whoever between Patton/Olson that doesn't make the rotation could slot in the pen as a second lefty. Situational bullpen arms shouldn't be a focus for a team like BAL.

Originally Posted by Stotle

Based on what it looks like SEA is willing to offer, the idea trade (for me) would be

Jones/Tillman/Sherill/Martinez

This is conditioned on Sherill or Walker being flipped for Lillibridge (the only reason I believe the rumor is BAL has little use for another LH in the 'pen, and he's mentioned a lot as a piece).

If you have Jones/Tillman/Lillibridge/Martinez, I honestly believe you are getting more quantity and more quality than Jones/Triunfel/Tillman. Martinez can be every bit the player Triunfel can. Slightly less "flashy" defense, but great hands. A larger frame that projects to more power and an already fluid swing that is producing linedrives to all fields at the low levels.

Now you'd have a CF for the ML team, a SS for the ML team hopefully by the end of the season, a power arm to add to a sick staff at Bowie and a projectable 3b in your low minors to slot in behind Costanzo on the depth chart (Rowell is 1b bound, and it's debatable Snyder can stick at 3b).

I'm telling you, I think this ATL deal has NO shot of happening. ATL just traded for a lefty reliever last week. If this were a possibility for us, we could have gotten Lillibridge before the trade for a PTBNL (which would have been from a list of 2 players: either Walker or Sherril).

I don't think Sherill alone would have gotten us Lillibridge anyway.

I did a quick comparison of both at 23 ... I didn't consider Roberts stats above AA.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB/CS AVG OBP OPS K's BB

Roberts 500 68 122 26 6 2 47 47 16 .279 .370 .750 88 70

Chen 1150 188 354 68 14 18 189 67 20 .307 .357 .793 178/94

I think he could become a similar player to what Roberts is now.

I don't think it's a good use of assets. Whoever between Patton/Olson that doesn't make the rotation could slot in the pen as a second lefty. Situational bullpen arms shouldn't be a focus for a team like BAL.

Throwing unproven prospects into the pen to get beat up like last year shouldn't be the focus either. I'd bet $100 Patton is in the rotation and Olsen starts at AAA.

Whats up with Clement?

Is Sea refusing to include him or could it be that the AM isn't really interested in a power hitting positional prospect ?

I know his defense is suspect behind the plate,but I'd be happy seeing him get ab's backing up ramon, millar ,and dhing --as long as he gets a solid 500 ab's this yr somewhere for the O's.

I hope the assumption of Wieters being a sure thing or that Tex will be aquired via FA isn't the reason AM isn't interested in Clement

Whats the latest scuttlebut on CLement ?

I think SEA thinks it's too much to give up, along with Tillman and Jones.

I like Clement -- I'm not sure his power plays at 1b or DH, though it would be very good at C (if he could catch). Even right now, Clement is behind Wieters as far as projectability, raw power and hitting for average. He's well behind Wieters with the glove and their arms aren't in the same universe.

Sherrill will be our closer, IMO. I believe that has been the thinking all along. Trembley has repeatedly said he wants a power lefty for the BP. They may consider moving him at the deadline if someone like Hoey/Sarfate has become a consistent set-up guy and the organization feels they are ready to close.

I agree with you: I don't like getting Sherill in a trade elike this. One theory is that we could 'showcase' him as a back end RP and then trade him during the season...but I don't think the ATL deal is plausible.

I really don't know how well this team is going to be able to showcase any reliever, but that's the theory.

Throwing unproven prospects into the pen to get beat up like last year shouldn't be the focus either. I'd bet $100 Patton is in the rotation and Olsen starts at AAA.

Then you sign a 29 year old journeyman if you need to have the LH and won't give it to Olson (I think Patton is in the rotation as well). Why, oh why, use up a slot in a trade that could be filled with Butler or Chen instead? Sherrill threw a whopping 46 innings last year. That's the impact we're looking for?

I agree with you: I don't like getting Sherill in a trade elike this. One theory is that we could 'showcase' him as a back end RP and then trade him during the season...but I don't think the ATL deal is plausible.

I really don't know how well this team is going to be able to showcase any reliever, but that's the theory.

I third the motion ... BB do you think the player we send could be Walker to replace Sherrill in their pen.

Sherrill will be our closer, IMO. I believe that has been the thinking all along. Trembley has repeatedly said he wants a power lefty for the BP. They may consider moving him at the deadline if someone like Hoey/Sarfate has become a consistent set-up guy and the organization feels they are ready to close.

Sure, that's a possibility. I don't think it's the right move, though. He's only really "dominated" for a season. He isn't in any long term plans. If AM has plans in place for him, that's great. If AM is just figuring something will develop, I think its the wrong approach.

I could certainly be wrong...I am a lot. ;)

I third the motion ... BB do you think the player we send could be Walker to replace Sherrill in their pen.

Let me clarify, I think it's too late to get someone else. He's not a pile of dog crap...I just would have preferred another ML ready guy. SEA probably has him valued lower than a top prospect but higher than the non-roster guys.

I'll take him ,but if we were starting from scratch I would have preferred young talent.

Archived