Roch's Take

obannon35

Impatient ? Yes I am.

Ok...that's outta the way.

Anybody's guess as to WHEN this Bedard trade might actually happen??

Impatient...remember.

I read somewhere here by Wednesday... But also read that if it didn't happen in the next day or two it wouldn't not happen.

Joeyr5 said the Roberts to Cubs by the end of the week

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest oriofan8
I read somewhere here by Wednesday... But also read that if it didn't happen in the next day or two it wouldn't not happen.

Joeyr5 said the Roberts to Cubs by the end of the week

dang...I can't "stay up" til Wednesday << yawn >>

guess I'll go to bed...;)

Our bullpen has nothing for sure except Bradford and Walker, 5 unproven slots. You just can't enter the season with that and repeat the 2007 disaster.

Interesting how people here trust that AM can rebuild the team yeat question the manner in which he proposes to do it.

Unless you're telling me this is the exact package he is asking for, I'm not sure how you can claim I'm "questioning" MacPhail's plan. I don't post here much, so I'm sure your reputation far outweighs mine on the board. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion, or that the opinion is incorrect.

Sherrill isn't a long term piece -- give me someone who could be.

With regards to needing a "proven" pen, SDN had one of the better pens in baseball last year. Here are there top 7 RP according to IP:

Hoffman (vet)

Bell (relatively young, coming off back-to-back rough seasons with NYN)

Meredith (second full season in bigs)

Brocail (vet, coming off back-to-back seasons with an ERA+ under 90)

Cameron (rookie)

Hampson (first full season, ERA+ of 65 in limited action with COL in previous year)

Linebrink (vet coming off solid year)

I see two solid bets out of those seven, and two "experienced" veterans who were each below average the previous two years. The three best performances?

Bell - ERA+ 200

Hampson - ERA+ 150

Cameron - ERA+ 145

The three most experienced pitchers all finished behind these three, and Linebrink finished behind Meredith.

Does anyone here not think we could trade an excess piece for the 2006 version of Heath Bell? Scout good arms and buy low for the pen -- fill in gaps with SP and young arms you are looking to break into the ML club.

As always, just my opinion and in no way meant as a means to imply I am superior to AM in any way...

Unless you're telling me this is the exact package he is asking for, I'm not sure how you can claim I'm "questioning" MacPhail's plan. I don't post here much, so I'm sure your reputation far outweighs mine on the board. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion, or that the opinion is incorrect.

Sherrill isn't a long term piece -- give me someone who could be.

With regards to needing a "proven" pen, SDN had one of the better pens in baseball last year. Here are there top 7 RP according to IP:

Hoffman (vet)

Bell (relatively young, coming off back-to-back rough seasons with NYN)

Meredith (second full season in bigs)

Brocail (vet, coming off back-to-back seasons with an ERA+ under 90)

Cameron (rookie)

Hampson (first full season, ERA+ of 65 in limited action with COL in previous year)

Linebrink (vet coming off solid year)

I see two solid bets out of those seven, and two "experienced" veterans who were each below average the previous two years. The three best performances?

Bell - ERA+ 200

Hampson - ERA+ 150

Cameron - ERA+ 145

The three most experienced pitchers all finished behind these three, and Linebrink finished behind Meredith.

Does anyone here not think we could trade an excess piece for the 2006 version of Heath Bell? Scout good arms and buy low for the pen -- fill in gaps with SP and young arms you are looking to break into the ML club.

As always, just my opinion and in no way meant as a means to imply I am superior to AM in any way...

If AM thinks he can turn Sherrill into two good prospects (better than what would replace Sherrill coming back from the M's) than I can see a certain logic in using Sherrill to solidify our pen and then swinging him for prospects.

In fact, it'd be pretty canny. I know we're not used to our GMs thinking two steps at a time, but it's entirely possible this is the case.

If AM thinks he can turn Sherrill into two good prospects (better than what would replace Sherrill coming back from the M's) than I can see a certain logic in using Sherrill to solidify our pen and then swinging him for prospects.

In fact, it'd be pretty canny. I know we're not used to our GMs thinking two steps at a time, but it's entirely possible this is the case.

Or...since Sherrill is younger and would be under our control for a while, we can move Walker for prospects at the deadline.

Almost makes too much sense that one of these guys would not be in our bullpen come August 1.

Or...since Sherrill is younger and would be under our control for a while, we can move Walker for prospects at the deadline.

Almost makes too much sense that one of these guys would not be in our bullpen come August 1.

It appears that they have different roles. Walker is somewhat of a LOOGY wheres I get the impression that Sherill will be our closer. Yeah, you trade Sherill if you can get something for him, but it's not like Walker and Sherill are redundant (though you might not be saying that).

I don't ever remember Roch doing this before - conjecturing about a possible trade. He doesn't usually write about material if he isn't really sure, and definitely not if it hasn't been cleared by the O's. This is the most definitive sign yet.

He mentioned the Tejeda trade to Houston in a blog the weekend before it happened. It is getting close.

I believe I read it here??? The guys had pages & pages of speculation about it being Payton... I was thinking maybe it would be a reliever to replace Sherrill on a win now team. Just my opinion!

Moe's OP if his thread said there might be another player.

Archived