Zach Britton is Too Filthy for the Pen

aaron_cls

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heck I even made this bigger to emphasize it even more. I think the people that want Britton to mde a starter again are the same people that wanted to try Johnson again as a starter.

I liked Zach as a starter because he could get grounders, his slider had improved, and he even had a nice split-change at times. Maybe he still has all of these weapons, or maybe, simplifying his delivery by keeping him in the stretch and allowing him to pound his sinker for 1-3 innings is what works best for him. I know it's tempting, and I understand where people are coming from, but I just think Britton has found his role.

Zach more than likely is made for this role. However, the difference between JJ and him is that JJ's velocity obviously spiked as a reliever because of the shorter outings, whereas it may be the case that Zach's velocity may have jumped period (mechanics, health, workout). If Zach can carry 92-95 through 100 pitches, he may be more valuable as a starter. This is especially true if he can throw the change up somewhat effectively.

I think we experiment with him after this season, unless our starting pitching falls apart. Don't you have to try?

But right now....we need him just where he is!

I don't see the issue with having a reliable reliever in the bullpen who can go multiple innings, especially with our pitch count issues. Sometimes players just thrive more in different roles, and I think Zach is in the role he is best at now.

Can't. But I have not seen a lefty sinker like that either (I think).
Zach more than likely is made for this role. However' date=' the difference between JJ and him is that JJ's velocity obviously spiked as a reliever because of the shorter outings, whereas it [b']may[/b] be the case that Zach's velocity may have jumped period (mechanics, health, workout). If Zach can carry 92-95 through 100 pitches, he may be more valuable as a starter. This is especially true if he can throw the change up somewhat effectively.

I think we experiment with him after this season, unless our starting pitching falls apart. Don't you have to try?

I don't see the issue with having a reliable reliever in the bullpen who can go multiple innings, especially with our pitch count issues. Sometimes players just thrive more in different roles, and I think Zach is in the role he is best at now.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=parrijo01&t=p&year=2005&share=3.03#95-106-sum:pitching_gamelogs

The TRUTH!

I think this is another reactionary thread. The poster has some valid points but I don't think that moving him from where he is successful is a great idea.

Who's going to replace him if he does?

And who's going to pick up the pieces if he fails?

I think Buck is successful because he makes a lot calculated risks not hearty overreactions.

Quoted in the Music Threads. :D

Heck I even made this bigger to emphasize it even more. I think the people that want Britton to mde a starter again are the same people that wanted to try Johnson again as a starter.

Speaking as someone who would like to see Britton get another chance as a starter, and someone who never wanted to see Johnson tried as a starter, I don't think there's anything but a superficial similarity between the cases.

Johnson was a SP with fringe stuff who saw a major bump in his stuff when moved to the pen. He didn't have special numbers in the minors. Heck, he was always hit around as a starter and even though Britton's 4.6 something ERA in his rookie year wasn't necessarily a great feat it represents something Johnson never did nor probably could ever do. You know all this, of course. You yourself were a big fan of Britton as a prospect. Just think it bears keeping in mind; I think it would be hard to argue Britton is any worse than the guy that debuted in his rookie season--the logical argument is he's better--and that certainly wasn't a one-pitch pitcher, so I also wouldn't make the assumption that just because Wieters is not calling them as much and he sees little need for the them out of the pen, that his ability to throw his secondaries has totally disappeared/can't be regained.

Zach more than likely is made for this role. However' date=' the difference between JJ and him is that JJ's velocity obviously spiked as a reliever because of the shorter outings, whereas it [b']may[/b] be the case that Zach's velocity may have jumped period (mechanics, health, workout). If Zach can carry 92-95 through 100 pitches, he may be more valuable as a starter. This is especially true if he can throw the change up somewhat effectively.

Zach doesn't need a spike. Throwing 95, 96, 97. Always did when he was right.

Those guys haven been sick and had blisters.

That is beside the point. I'm not arguing that those guys are going to be better major league pitchers than Gausman. The statement was made that Gausman is "pushing" Chen, Gonzalez and Norris right now. No matter what the reasons are for his performance the last two times out, he's not "pushing" anyone right now. I don't think it is even arguable.

That is beside the point. I'm not arguing that those guys are going to be better major league pitchers than Gausman. The statement was made that Gausman is "pushing" Chen, Gonzalez and Norris right now. No matter what the reasons are for his performance the last two times out, he's not "pushing" anyone right now. I don't think it is even arguable.

It was a joke Frobby. A little sarcastic funny.

Archived