New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles05dec05,0,6371035.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

"According to several industry sources, the Orioles have had serious discussions about a deal that would send second baseman Brian Roberts and pitching prospect Hayden Penn to the Atlanta Braves for power-hitting first baseman Adam LaRoche and second baseman Marcus Giles.

The deal has "several hurdles," according to a source familiar with the trade talks, with a major one being Peter Angelos' preference to keep Roberts, who has long been a favorite of the Orioles' owner"

Same old story with Angelos. I think if you can get Giles to sign an extension you'd have to make that deal, but what do I know. It's just so frustrating that the owner would rather keep one or two fan favourites and loose, instead of making this ballclub win again.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Appears to be the "same old same old" if you ask me....:(

Good morning. I feel exactly the same and it's really depressing me right now. I mean I like Roberts but you get LaRoche in a deal, who wouldn't hit FA before 2010 and you get Giles who is even younger than Roberts.

To me it's a no brainer because than you get Mench and all of a sudden you have a pretty good lineup.

Good morning. I feel exactly the same and it's really depressing me right now. I mean I like Roberts but you get LaRoche in a deal, who wouldn't hit FA before 2010 and you get Giles who is even younger than Roberts.

To me it's a no brainer because than you get Mench and all of a sudden you have a pretty good lineup.

With a loving, playful spirit, I can't wait to read how the crew of the good ship Lollypop poo poos this trade proposal. LaRoche looks like a beast. Giles and he could become new fan favorites.

Angelos' logic of keeping current fan favorites even at the cost of not improving is.....in a word...illogical.

This seems like a nice trade for the Orioles. Understanding that they could be unloading a future mid-rotation or better starter, they are still coming out quite a bit ahead offensively. Giles has a slight (or better) edge in most stats, career-wise; and Laroche adds about 25-35 HRs while simultaneously showing Millar the bench (one would think...or hope).

Giles - 2B

Mora - 3B

Markakis - RF

Tejada - SS

Laroche - 1B

Hernandez - C

Gibbons - DH

me? a rusty bike? Pauly Shore? - LF

Patterson - CF

That isn't so bad.

Man, if it isn't the money with Angelos, it's a sudden burst of sentimentality. You don't get rich (or better) hanging on to favorites. He must know that.

This seems like a nice trade for the Orioles. Understanding that they could be unloading a future mid-rotation or better starter, they are still coming out quite a bit ahead offensively. Giles has a slight (or better) edge in most stats, career-wise; and Laroche adds about 25-35 HRs while simultaneously showing Millar the bench (one would think...or hope).

Giles - 2B

Mora - 3B

Markakis - RF

Tejada - SS

Laroche - 1B

Hernandez - C

Gibbons - DH

me? a rusty bike? Pauly Shore? - LF

Patterson - CF

That isn't so bad.

Man, if it isn't the money with Angelos, it's a sudden burst of sentimentality. You don't get rich (or better) hanging on to favorites. He must know that.

Angelos should make treebird the next GM.

They should not trade BRob for a platoon player. Laroche does not hit lefties. His 32 HR and 90 RBI looks attractive, but BRob is a high price to pay.

I don't want Giles. I don't want to trade Penn. The deal to me comes down to BRob for LaRoche as a platoon player. If they are serious about trading BRob they can probably do better.

Wow.....I'm glad i don't have to make this decision.Looking at it coldly,you prolly should do this,but B Rob is an integral part of this team and city. Personally he's my favorite O.

I'm a little surprised Atlanta would make this deal. I don't see how they come out ahead unless they know something about Penn,no one else does.

LaRoche is no platoon player....does anyone find it possible to get him without the Giles and Roberts part? Or does anyone think we can keep Giles and Roberts in there, throw them one more little kickin (Fiorentino?), and get Hudson?

So like

Penn and x

LaRoche

or

Penn, Roberts, Fiorentino (or x)

Giles, LaRoche, Hudson

Thoughts? Prayers?

They should not trade BRob for a platoon player. Laroche does not hit lefties. His 32 HR and 90 RBI looks attractive, but BRob is a high price to pay.

I wouldn't call Laroche a platoon player. Sure, he should get the day off against the tougher lefties. However, he hit 7HR in 112AB against LHP last season, and managed to walk one every 11 PAs . While that isn't Justin Morneau-type production, it isn't an sinkhole in your lineup, either.

LaRoche became a full-time player for the first time this year, especially in the second half of the season when he was unstoppable. It's a hard call; did the Braves platoon him for the right reasons or was it just a case of not getting show what you can do?

Reminds me a bit of Trot Nixon in Boston. Of course, the Sox ultimately found out that he couldn't hit lefties.

I know he's gotten a bad rap because of lapses in concentration on the field (which he attributes to ADHD) but it has always seemed to me that the Braves haven't fully accepted that explanation, which would further explain why they might be willing to trade him while he's still in his cheap years.

So, is he a sleeper talent, emerging from his platoon shell, or is he a one dimensional head case?

With a loving, playful spirit, I can't wait to read how the crew of the good ship Lollypop poo poos this trade proposal. LaRoche looks like a beast. Giles and he could become new fan favorites.

You know the problem with most Hangouters (me including) is that they overvalue our own talent.

I bet you if I'd transcribe Roberts numbers into a no name player let's say from the NL most Hangouters would say that this player was just one of those one year wonders who had one good year and really is just an slightly above average leadoff hitter. Whereas the same numbers addicted to the name Roberts will make Hangouters believe he's going to have 2005 like seasons his entire career.

If you make the trade or NOT, base it on the talent of the players involved, their potentials, their salaries, when they are arbitration elgible, when they become free agents, etc.

But using Angelos' "is he a fan favorite?" as a criteria should be the lowest weighted of all! I want a winning team of players that win together, not a losing team made up of "fan favorites".

What are the odds that Roberts will sign an extension? He may be more discontent than anyone on the roster right now. They'd need another leadoff hitter but adding LaRoche would definitely kill my fear of seeing Millar's name at 1B 4-5 times a week. Who else is there even avalable to leadoff? Trade for Scott Podsednik?

Archived