New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

If...... is a very important word in your statement. Angelos has to decide if it's the right move on all levles.

No, he doesn't. And, that's exactly the problem with this team...and, why we tread water every year. He needs to let his BASEBALL PEOPLE make BASEBALL DECISIONS. Honestly, I don't really care what an Asbestos Lawyer thinks is the solution to our 1B problem. He's an owner because he has cash. Most successful franchises let their baseball people make the moves. And, until that happens here, nothing will improve.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I am going to get killed for this, but how about waiting until Angelos actually nixes the deal before attacking him? So far, all you have is a reporter's conjecture, which is worth nearly nothing, IMO.

Why does Angelos pay 2 GMs if he won't let them do their jobs?
Because Angelos has done such a great job in overruling his GMs over the last nine years. :o As Tony found out last year, Angelos vetoed some trades at the trade deadline too. And because of Angelos' fine work, we were able to crack the 70 win mark last season.

I honestly cannot be objective about this rumor. LaRoche is potentially everything we are looking for in a first baseman. Good glove, finally has come around offensively (due to the Ritalin?), young, under club control for a few more years, yada yada yada. But Brian is a high price to pay for that type of player. I'm not so much pressed about trading Penn -- and that has nothing to do with the fact that he's not my boy, but rather the starting pitching is finally becoming a position of depth. We need to work from that depth to get the pieces we need -- and LaRoche is potentially that. The Giles part of this rumor worries me. He's not going to sign an extension here. Nor will he stick around here once he becomes a FA. So, we'd be trading Brian and Penn for LaRoche and one year of Marcus Giles. Do we have any 2B depth in the minors to take over for Giles in 2008? Or have we traded it all to the Cubs? ;)

Witchy

Excellent analysis. However unlike you I don't want the O's to trade Penn. I think by June he will be the teams 4th best starter. I think he will be in the rotation doing a good job for the next 6-10 years if he in not traded. He is one of the main building blocks. Better stuff than Olson. More control and more pitches than Liz. Not until Erbe arrives in a couple of years to the O's have another starter as good coming in the minors.

I hope they keep Penn.

RLo for Jenkins is fine with me.

I searched the Sun and MLB in vain, but I do remember through the course of last season that Brian Roberts expressed his desire to move on if the Orioles do not improve the team. How much longer is Brian under O's control?

So arguing to keep Brian becomes a moot point if he is just going to move on as soon as he is able.

If Giles and Roberts are a wash talent wise, then go after LaRoche. Maybe offer Penn & Hoey. Atlanta does need pitching correct?

The problem with trading Roberts for Giles is this, now we don't have a leadoff man.

That is where Brian is very valuable. Giles is obviously not getting the job done in the ATL or they wouldn't be looking for a "proven leadoff man."

Say we trade Brian, now we have a GAPING hole at the top of our lineup. By filling one hole we are opening up another. Are there any FA LFer's that could be leadoff men anywhere near as productive as Brian?

There don't appear to be any.

That is Brian's value to the team, not to mention the fact that Giles will not stick around after this year. Leaving us with a hole to fill in '08. So while they are comparable players I would side with the ORG on this one and keep Roberts.

Now we need to try and work something to pry LaRoche away from Atlanta while keeping Roberts.

FIRST: Angelos should not be involved in this decision. It should be up to the front office.

SECOND: The front office should do this deal. Getting LaRoche would be a huge plus. The difference between Roberts and Giles at 2b is pretty minimal, though I'd say Roberts is a little better both offensively and defensively The only big negative to this deal is that Giles only has a year to go on his deal, whereas Roberts has two years and is somewhat more likely to sign long term. That's a risk I take to get LaRoche.

The problem with trading Roberts for Giles is this, now we don't have a leadoff man.

That is where Brian is very valuable. Giles is obviously not getting the job done in the ATL or they wouldn't be looking for a "proven leadoff man."

Say we trade Brian, now we have a GAPING hole at the top of our lineup. By filling one hole we are opening up another. Are there any FA LFer's that could be leadoff men anywhere near as productive as Brian?

There don't appear to be any.

That is Brian's value to the team, not to mention the fact that Giles will not stick around after this year. Leaving us with a hole to fill in '08. So while they are comparable players I would side with the ORG on this one and keep Roberts.

Now we need to try and work something to pry LaRoche away from Atlanta while keeping Roberts.

Great post man.

Can't fill holes only to open up others. We need a good leadoff hitter. Too bad C-pat can't get it done...

Brian showed a lot better pop in the bat toward the end of last season. Figure healthy he is worth 10-14 homers for a few more seasons.

Regardless no one should be untouchable. Everyone should be on the table if we are to get this team turned around.

...I noted this trade was a stark possibility two weeks ago. Scroll down on this link:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40529&page=6

I phrased it as such in the post - as opposed to something my 'source' had told me - due to the sensitivity of it at his/her request. Sounds like a pretty good job was done keeping it quiet until now.

I'll continue to pass along tidbits as I hear them.

Archived