New Sun article: Roberts/Penn vs Giles/LaRoche to be avoided by Angelos

Skywalker76

The problem with trading Roberts for Giles is this, now we don't have a leadoff man.

That is where Brian is very valuable. Giles is obviously not getting the job done in the ATL or they wouldn't be looking for a "proven leadoff man."

Say we trade Brian, now we have a GAPING hole at the top of our lineup. By filling one hole we are opening up another. Are there any FA LFer's that could be leadoff men anywhere near as productive as Brian?

Through his career, Giles has gotten on base more often than Roberts. Why couldn't Giles lead off?

Giles doesn't steal the bases that Roberts does, but stolen bases aren't terribly helpful anyway. Assuming an extension, Roberts (at 28 years old) would likely start to see his SB numbers decline in the next couple of years anyway.

I like Roberts and he's a solid leadoff guy, but it isn't like he's an unstoppable and irreplacable run-scoring machine at the top of the lineup.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I noted this trade was a stark possibility two weeks ago. Scroll down on this link:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40529&page=6

I phrased it as such in the post - as opposed to something my 'source' had told me - due to the sensitivity of it at his/her request. Sounds like a pretty good job was done keeping it quiet until now.

I'll continue to pass along tidbits as I hear them.

Nice call, Dynamite.

Through his career, Giles has gotten on base more often than Roberts. Why couldn't Giles lead off?

Giles doesn't steal the bases that Roberts does, but stolen bases aren't terribly helpful anyway. Assuming an extension, Roberts (at 28 years old) would likely start to see his SB numbers decline in the next couple of years anyway.

I like Roberts and he's a solid leadoff guy, but it isn't like he's an unstoppable and irreplacable run-scoring machine at the top of the lineup.

If Giles was such a solid leadoff guy, akin to Roberts, than the Braves wouldn't be wanting Roberts. That is why the Braves want to get rid of him. Giles .OBP is higher, as is his OPS. He had one 21 HR season a few years ago but hasn't come close since. You also have to remember that Brian was not a true everyday player until the last half of 04 - 05, that should help skew his numbers a bit.

Roberts isn't a PROLIFIC leadoff man by any stretch of the imagination but he is better than most 2 years removed from an all-star run, has bounced back nicely from an EXTREMELY serious injury and we have a much better chance of controlling him long term than we do Giles.

Penn for LaRoche is a no brainer, you do this deal. Of course it will take more, as the deal seems to really be Roberts and Penn for LaRoche with Giles as "compensation." But I would certainly do all I could to get this deal done without letting go of Brian.

I could only tolerate letting Brian go as part of a massive rebuilding effort - this deal, it makes me cringe because I feel that it is short-sighted and would end up hurting the team in 08 and beyond because we have no one in the organization that can step into Brian's role at the moment.

I am glad we turned this down...Giles is a FA after this year and he seems to be injured alot. Who is our second baseman after 2007?

LaRoche is already 27...In 2005, he was awful versus lefties but he was pretty good last year. So, which is it for him? He has big power and he was very good defensively this year(at least according to BP's defensive rate).

I think BRob is better than Giles and is under our control longer.

I am glad we turned this down...Giles is a FA after this year and he seems to be injured alot. Who is our second baseman after 2007?

LaRoche is already 27...In 2005, he was awful versus lefties but he was pretty good last year. So, which is it for him? He has big power and he was very good defensively this year(at least according to BP's defensive rate).

I think BRob is better than Giles and is under our control longer.

Already 27? come on SG...thats like kicking a Victoria's Secret model out of bed for farting.

I'd pull the trigger on this trade in a heartbeat.

Look, I love BRob as much as the next guy (in pure baseball terminology that is), but we would gain a power bat that also plays 1B (isn't this what we've been screaming for all offseason???)... as well as pick up a relatively comparable 2B.

I don't see how we lose on this one... I really don't. This would be an exceptional trade.

I'd pull the trigger on this trade in a heartbeat.

Look, I love BRob as much as the next guy (in pure baseball terminology that is), but we would gain a power bat that also plays 1B (isn't this what we've been screaming for all offseason???)... as well as pick up a relatively comparable 2B.

I don't see how we lose on this one... I really don't. This would be an exceptional trade.

We only lose if we can't get Giles to stay after 2007. That wouldn't be good.

On the flip side of that, maybe there are some good 2nd baseman on the FA market next year....

Archived