Buck's decisions tonight

Frobby

Then why get him up then? Get him up to start the 9th, or if O'Day allows a baserunner.

It was 37 degrees. Getting him up after O'Day allowed a baserunner might not have been enough time, in Buck's estimation. But who knows...you and CoC are mind-reading every bit as much as I am. It makes sense to me that, in extremely cold weather, you give Hunter a long, long time to warm up, and Buck would have had Hunter ready with a three run lead if O'Day got in trouble for the 9th. Buck had Matusz warming up well in advance of the time he actually came into the game.

But again, mind-reading. This isn't an argument that can be "won."

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Buck favored the "win" rule?

Maybe it's just one of those "Coke means soda in Georgia" kind of things.

Quoting Buck believing in the "win rule" has been a running joke around here since about two weeks after he made the statement.

My guess is he wanted to shake things up since he had just arrived. His actions since then have proven many times over that he very much cares about the save rule.

It was 37 degrees. Getting him up after O'Day allowed a baserunner might not have been enough time, in Buck's estimation. But who knows...you and CoC are mind-reading every bit as much as I am. It makes sense to me that, in extremely cold weather, you give Hunter a long, long time to warm up, and Buck would have had Hunter ready with a three run lead if O'Day got in trouble for the 9th. Buck had Matusz warming up well in advance of the time he actually came into the game.

But again, mind-reading. This isn't an argument that can be "won."

If it takes so long to get ready in the cold, why sit Hunter down when the lead becomes 4?

It's not mind reading. It's looking at how Buck has managed his closer previously.

Quoting Buck believing in the "win rule" has been a running joke around here since about two weeks after he made the statement.

My guess is he wanted to shake things up since he had just arrived. His actions since then have proven many times over that he very much cares about the save rule.

(I was kidding...hence the "maybe the win rule = the save rule in Buck's mind" joke)

If it takes so long to get ready in the cold, why sit Hunter down when the lead becomes 4?

It's not mind reading. It's looking at how Buck has managed Jim Johnson previously.

I do think it may be different with Tommy.

It's not mind reading. It's looking at how Buck has managed his closer previously.

Because O'Day's leash gets longer with a four run lead? I mean...I really don't see how that's unreasonable. If O'Day has a wider margin for error, and you've already had Hunter up/moving around, there's no need to have Hunter continue throwing nonstop if O'Day's been given another run to work with. But at least Hunter hasn't been sitting idle for three hours in near-freezing temperatures at that point.

Because O'Day's leash gets longer with a four run lead? I mean...I really don't see how that's unreasonable. If O'Day has a wider margin for error, and you've already had Hunter up/moving around, there's no need to have Hunter continue throwing nonstop if O'Day's been given another run to work with. But at least Hunter hasn't been sitting idle for three hours in near-freezing temperatures at that point.

Weird how that leash coincides exactly with the save rule. ;)

Weird how that leash coincides exactly with the save rule. ;)

Or maybe Buck is so beholden to the save rule that he realized with a four run lead...only O'Day was eligible for a save under those circumstances. Buck needed his save fix, and Darren gave it to him.

This conspiracy's going all the way to the top...

:D

It wasn't different with Gregg until he proved he couldn't get the job done.

I think for a closer, the definition of effectiveness is getting the job done. Tommy is the closer for the Orioles. Not a relief ace, or some nouveau match-up relief king. In the traditional sense that all successful baseball teams have. No experiments here. If he does not get the job done, I am certain Buck will get a different closer.

Or maybe Buck is so beholden to the save rule that he realized with a four run lead...only O'Day was eligible for a save under those circumstances. Buck needed his save fix, and Darren gave it to him.

This conspiracy's going all the way to the top...

:D

As someone said before, the players like Buck because he looks out for them. When it is not counterproductive to the Orioles over the long haul

I think for a closer, the definition of effectiveness is getting the job done. Tommy is the closer for the Orioles. Not a relief ace, or some nouveau match-up relief king. In the traditional sense that all successful baseball teams have. No experiments here. If he does not get the job done, I am certain Buck will get a different closer.

And then that guy will get all the benefits of being a "closer" until he fails.

BTW the A's don't currently have a closer and they seem to be doing OK.

Archived