Nick's Knocks

Frobby

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14-game hitting streak now, and he has been on base 19 games in a row. In those 19, he was on base at least twice in 17. He's hit .352/.446/.493 in those 19 games. Going a bit further back, he's hit .327/.395/.445 in the last 27 games.

I'd still like to see a few more doubles and homers, but he's doing a tremendous job of getting on base. He's also batting .440 leading off the game, in 25 starts as the leadoff hitter. In 2012, he hit .354 with a .426 OBP when leading off the game, in 54 games. So, he clearly has done a great job of getting the game started for us when he bats leadoff.

14-game hitting streak now, and he has been on base 19 games in a row. In those 19, he was on base at least twice in 17. He's hit .352/.446/.493 in those 19 games. Going a bit further back, he's hit .327/.395/.445 in the last 27 games.

I'd still like to see a few more doubles and homers, but he's doing a tremendous job of getting on base. He's also batting .440 leading off the game, in 25 starts as the leadoff hitter. In 2012, he hit .354 with a .426 OBP when leading off the game, in 54 games. So, he clearly has done a great job of getting the game started for us when he bats leadoff.

Oh, don't sound so happy.

I'm kidding!

Nick hitting well this year was about as great a thing that we could have hoped for in the scheme of things. He obviously put in the work and as a fan that feels good to be on the right side of the guy you have always pulled for since he was on the team.

Now, if he can just lose the refrigerator in the OF he'll be fine.

Doh!

3 for 4 with a double tonight, .314/.371/.416. Surprisingly for a guy hitting .314, that's Nick's first three-hit game this year. Not the last, I hope.
He's healthy, strong. He worked real hard this offseason for the first time that he was able to in a long time. He had to order a whole bunch of new clothes because nothing fit in the right places, I'm told. I don't spend a lot of time looking at it, but his wife told my wife, so that's gospel.

I'd say this is all related.

When Machado gets going and Davis comes back, the top of the order is going to a pleasure to watch.

Ahhh - if only life were that way....but optimism is better than a glass half empty! :2yay-thumb:

Pounded to the gap. Pounded.

And you were there to actually hear it! Not a whisper...

An insignificant decline. He is trim -- shouldn't lose that much foot speed or reaction time in the field pre-35.

That said, the man makes the "quietest outs." Even his hits are whispers. Impossible on the 17 mil. Maybe 3 years, 30 mil. But that's only if he finishes somewhere around .290 90 15 80, with 35 doubles. But I can't say that I believe he has that kind of pop in his bat now. Gotta let him go FA.

• 2 weeks later...

After an 8 game slump in which he hit .152/.200/.152, Nick appears to be back on track, going 8 for 15 with a homer and a double the last three nights, including 4 for 5 last night. Now up to .306/.358/.399.

Last night, Nick passed Paul Blair to move into 8th place all-time on the Orioles' hit list, with 1429. Next up: Brian Roberts, who had 1452 hits in his Orioles career, and then Ken Singleton who had 1455 hits for the O's. Nick should pass both of them by the end of June, barring injury, to move into 6th place on the Orioles list. Here are the top 8:

Ripken 3183

B. Robinson 2848

Murray 2080

Anderson 1614

Powell 1574

Singleton 1455

Roberts 1452

Markakis 1429

Nick won't get any higher than 6th unless he re-signs with the Orioles, but if he did re-sign, third place could be attainable in three more seasons.

After an 8 game slump in which he hit .152/.200/.152, Nick appears to be back on track, going 8 for 15 with a homer and a double the last three nights, including 4 for 5 last night. Now up to .306/.358/.399.

Last night, Nick passed Paul Blair to move into 8th place all-time on the Orioles' hit list, with 1429. Next up: Brian Roberts, who had 1452 hits in his Orioles career, and then Ken Singleton who had 1455 hits for the O's. Nick should pass both of them by the end of June, barring injury, to move into 6th place on the Orioles list. Here are the top 8:

Ripken 3183

B. Robinson 2848

Murray 2080

Anderson 1614

Powell 1574

Singleton 1455

Roberts 1452

Markakis 1429

Nick won't get any higher than 6th unless he re-signs with the Orioles, but if he did re-sign, third place could be attainable in three more seasons.

It's funny...Nick's on pace for 208 hits right now, which would add 149 hits to his current total. Seven more years of averaging 150+ hits per season would push him over 2,500 for his career (which, in turn, would put him in the top 100 for hits all-time). He'd have to be one of the least heralded players to ever reach a milestone like that.

It's funny...Nick's on pace for 208 hits right now, which would add 149 hits to his current total. Seven more years of averaging 150+ hits per season would push him over 2,500 for his career (which, in turn, would put him in the top 100 for hits all-time). He'd have to be one of the least heralded players to ever reach a milestone like that.

Consistent yet unspectacular. That's what he's been. Personally I like his odds of getting to 2500 hits, but of course, someone has to keep putting him in the lineup for that to happen and I think he'll have to regain a bit more power if he wants to play more than another 3 years or so.

Consistent yet unspectacular. That's what he's been. Personally I like his odds of getting to 2500 hits, but of course, someone has to keep putting him in the lineup for that to happen and I think he'll have to regain a bit more power if he wants to play more than another 3 years or so.

IMO, depends on how much he "needs" to be paid going forward. I think there are plenty of teams he could start on for several years, at least, but he's probably not going to be paid much (relatively speaking) to do so unless his power spikes.

Archived