Kevin Gausman Today, 2014.

Bahama O's Fan

I'm not going to comment on the knowledge of mdbdotcom, but the franchise's handling of Gausman in 2013 was lousy. Also, one of the things Gausman has yet to prove is the ability to go through a lineup 3-4 times, so the current approach of 75 pitch / 3-4 inning stints is worthy of debate in my opinion. I'm well past thinking Dan and Buck are infallible.
Eveland and Gregg respectively did that for me.

No front office and head coach is perfect.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No front office and head coach is perfect.

True, which is why I questioned the utility of a post which diminished Atomic's views on the subject of this thread by invoking the baseball knowledge of DD and Buck. DD and Buck are pretty good, but they have had their blunders as well.

He was, Buck is the manager he doesn't sign players.

I do have issues with how Buck used Gregg in year one of his contract and firmly believe that AM signed Gregg because Buck wanted a "proven closer".

What? Buck knows the "win rule." He said so in the commercial.

• 2 weeks later...

o

14 OUTS: 6 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, , 2 Poputs, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout

KEVIN GAUSMAN O (vs. AAA-Indianapolis, 5/10)

IP:. 4.67

H:o 2 (1 Triple, 1 Single)

R:O 0

BB: 3

SO: 6

Pitches: 77 (44 Strikes, 33 Balls)

2014 ERA: 2.08 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

19 (71 Strikes, 12 Balls)

18 (11 Strikes, 71 Balls)

16 (81 Strikes, 81 Balls)

71 (61 Strikes, 11 Balls)

17 (12 Strikes, 51 Balls) *

* Gausman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

Glad to see him back on the mound. I still think that if they are only letting him throw 5 innings a week that we minus well call him up and let him go two multi inning stints a week from the pen. At this point it might actually be better for his development and best for the mlb team. But all this hinges on the 75 pitch limit.

Glad to see him back on the mound. I still think that if they are only letting him throw 5 innings a week that we minus well call him up and let him go two multi inning stints a week from the pen. At this point it might actually be better for his development and best for the mlb team. But all this hinges on the 75 pitch limit.

This has been covered. It's easy enough to get him up to 90 from 75 and from 90 to 100 when they bring him up. He's fine there right now until we need him.

Good strategy and implementation by the organization.

When should we realistically expect Gausman to be called up? Is he down there because he's still working on things, because of service time, some combination of the two, or what?

Another poster said he expected him to be called up Thursday. I don't know if that is speculation or he had info, but I hope he's right.

I don't know what we could realistically be expecting him to work on any longer. To me, at the end of last year his confidence grew immensely after facing the Red Sox out of the BP and striking out five of six.

Then again he faced them this past spring with our second teamers and did well again in a starting role. His slider was the main cause for concern but it looked to be coming along nicely as a third pitch.

Other than that, I would say FB command in the zone. If he's walking a few more it's ok. Last year he walked hardly anyone and then got hit hard when he jumped up to face the best. He's not walking enough for it to be a concern and all his other numbers at Norfolk look good.

2 requests:

A) Transfer this thread from the "Minor League" section to the "Orioles Talk" section.

B) Add "Kevin" and "2014" to the thread title ("Gausman Today") ...... "Kevin Gausman Today, 2014."

2 requests:

A) Transfer this thread from the "Minor League" section to the "Orioles Talk" section.

B) Add "Kevin" and "2014" to the thread title ("Gausman Today") ...... "Kevin Gausman Today, 2014."

Done. Hope it is what you wanted.

Archived