I've seen enough defensive goofs from Schoop

FanSince88

Why would he cut it off? Lough was throwing as if he was making a play on someone. Even if it's off line you let it go through -- cutting off a play at the plate means a loss if the runner is tagging.

Yeah, why aren't people calling Lough out on that throw? That was freakin horrible.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, why aren't people calling Lough out on that throw? That was freakin horrible.

Watch it again Lough was right. Schoop just doesn't know the reads at 3B yet.

Done. End of thread. If Schoop is seen at third base again we start a new thread called slamming Buck. I think we can all agree on that point.

I am disappointed in Schoop but who are you going to put there? Lombardozzi doesn't have the arm, and we may need Flaherty at SS if Hardy is banged up. Can't get Manny back fast enough, but until then we make do and Schoop is part of the picture. Hopefully nothing serious with JJ.

I am disappointed in Schoop but who are you going to put there? Lombardozzi doesn't have the arm, and we may need Flaherty at SS if Hardy is banged up. Can't get Manny back fast enough, but until then we make do and Schoop is part of the picture. Hopefully nothing serious with JJ.

Why not keep Flaherty at 3b? Lombardozzi plays second and Schoop moves over to ss- why is that not a possibility? Buck's even said there are 3 ss's on the current roster yet he doesn't play Schoop there? I seem to be missing something. But no matter, I know I'm making some sense because after tonight, Schoop isn't going to play third again. ;)

Why would he cut it off? Lough was throwing as if he was making a play on someone. Even if it's off line you let it go through -- cutting off a play at the plate means a loss if the runner is tagging.

The throw was to Schoop, not Wieters, hoping to catch Pedroia as he scrambles back to third, not at home plate. If you intermittently pause the replay

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_04_20_balmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=video&c_id=bal,

you'll see Schoop almost catch it at 0:08, but then he suddenly lets it go by. Lough's throw was not off-line: he almost doubled-up Pedroia, which wd have been great.

Schoop, who was in position to turn and try to tag Pedroia scrambling back to third base.

Yeah, I don't think that's very smart then. Schoop wasn't near third (maybe he should have been). He wasn't in position. There was no play there imo. The throw was no where near third base. If Lough is throwing there, he should be throwing through the cutoff man (to home), which really wasn't necessary as Pedroia clearly wasn't going on a play that shallow and sharply hit anyways. Lough should have just thrown the ball into the infield instead of uncorking a stupid throw like that imo.

The throw was to Schoop, but what is glaringly obvious is that Pedroia never tagged up on the catch. Why didn't they make an appeal play at 3B? He should have been out for leaving the bag too soon.

The replay showed he tagged initially then went back towards the base and then on home after the ridiculous throw by Lough.

The replay showed he tagged. It was a bit delayed though.
What replay are you looking at? The one linked in this thread does not show him tagging. Is there another better angle? It did not appear that he had time to do so. Look at it again.

Yeah, I don't think that's very smart then. Schoop wasn't near third (maybe he should have been). He wasn't in position. There was no play there imo. The throw was no where near third base. If Lough is throwing there, he should be throwing through the cutoff man (to home), which really wasn't necessary as Pedroia clearly wasn't going on a play that shallow and sharply hit anyways. Lough should have just thrown the ball into the infield instead of uncorking a stupid throw like that imo.
Lough's cut off man was Schoop, he threw it to him even though he awas out of position. Who else should he have thrown it to?

What replay are you looking at? The one linked in this thread does not show him tagging. Is there another better angle? It did not appear that he had time to do so. Look at it again.

Yeah, you can't see it on the link here. The post game replay showed he tagged as the ball was initially caught, bluffed to home and went back, then went home after the errant throw.

Yeah, you can't see it on the link here. The post game replay showed he tagged as the ball was initially caught bluffed to home and went back, then went home after the errant throw.
Do you have a link? What post game replay wouldn't be available now?

Archived