HHP: Interesting to see who's on top of the AL in team runs scored/game so far

Frobby

No. 1: Twins, 5.52 R/G. Last year, 13th, 3.79 R/G.

No. 2: White Sox, 5.43 R/G. Last year, 15th (dead last), 3.69 R/G.

No. 3: Angels, 5.33 R/G. Last year, 6th, 4.52 R/G.

The Orioles, by the way, are 4th at 4.86 R/G and were tied for 4th last year at 4.60 R/G. Regression? What regression?

The Twins have some pretty fluky things going on. Their OPS leader is 30-year old journeyman Chris Colabello (.906 OPS), followed by Trevor Plouffe (.894), Josmil Pinto (.871) and Kurt Suzuki (.820). On the other hand, Joe Mauer (.694) hasn't really kicked into gear.

The White Sox also have been bouyed by some unlikely hot starts -- Dayan Viciedo (.986) and Alexei Ramirez (.931). The big unknown here is the hot start of Cuban signee Jose Abreu, off to an .890 start to his rookie campaign.

The Angels, I think, are less fluky. Pujols has been healthy and has returned to form (.976), and that makes a big difference. Trout is doing his usual thing (.962). They are doing it without Josh Hamilton, who had a great start (1.286 in 8 games) before he got hurt. When he comes back, they could really be a force.

In any event, I think these stats show that you can't make too much of 20 games in April.

No. 1: Twins, 5.52 R/G. Last year, 13th, 3.79 R/G.

No. 2: White Sox, 5.43 R/G. Last year, 15th (dead last), 3.69 R/G.

No. 3: Angels, 5.33 R/G. Last year, 6th, 4.52 R/G.

The Orioles, by the way, are 4th at 4.86 R/G and were tied for 4th last year at 4.60 R/G. Regression? What regression?

The Twins have some pretty fluky things going on. Their OPS leader is 30-year old journeyman Chris Colabello (.906 OPS), followed by Trevor Plouffe (.894), Josmil Pinto (.871) and Kurt Suzuki (.820). On the other hand, Joe Mauer (.694) hasn't really kicked into gear.

The White Sox also have been bouyed by some unlikely hot starts -- Dayan Viciedo (.986) and Alexei Ramirez (.931). The big unknown here is the hot start of Cuban signee Jose Abreu, off to an .890 start to his rookie campaign.

The Angels, I think, are less fluky. Pujols has been healthy and has returned to form (.976), and that makes a big difference. Trout is doing his usual thing (.962). They are doing it without Josh Hamilton, who had a great start (1.286 in 8 games) before he got hurt. When he comes back, they could really be a force.

In any event, I think these stats show that you can't make too much of 20 games in April.

We were number four last year. Right?

Is Chris Colabello the next Lew Ford? Mark Reynolds was looking like league MVP last April and lost his job by June.

I think the White Sox have a better chance at maintaining a top offensive rating. Abreu was a good addition and Dunn is having a good season (maybe last gasp of his career).

Angels could stay the top offensive club if Hamilton keeps hitting when he gets of the DL. Even if Hamilton and Pujols are a big step down from their peaks, they would have the best middle of order in baseball.

Archived