If Davis is out for any extended period of time, signing Morales becomes a no brainer

AlbionHero

Signing him makes Davis available to trade this offseason for prospects if that is a direction the Orioles consider going. And I'm also thinking that Hardys days as an Oriole are coming to an end, so that opens up some money.

If we get him for like 3 years, 36 mil or something I think it would be a completely fair deal.

Davis isn't getting traded until the last min. So why waste $12 million on Morales for 2 years (this and next year)? It makes no sense. Hardy might be gone but still have to get a FA or find a guy in the minors to fill one of the roles if Manny moves to SS or if Manny stays at 3rd. We have NOBODY to fill that role without having to find another person for 2nd base.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no way, no how, the O's FO will go six-year, $68 million for an amateur player.

He wasn't amateur per se.... He was HEAVILY scouted more then most of the kids coming of high school or college for the draft. Something like 250 ABs. Every damn International Scout out there has probably seen him play in person, and he was on the radar of MLB teams since 2009.

Well his contract sounds big but it's not. His first two years are $7m. Then $10m increasing by 500,000 each year. Last year is $12m a year. Hell, this year alone he's right there for paying for himself.. I know it's after the fact.. but he's gonna be a steal for the White Soxs.

He wasn't amateur per se.... He was HEAVILY scouted more then most of the kids coming of high school or college for the draft. Something like 250 ABs. Every damn International Scout out there has probably seen him play in person, and he was on the radar of MLB teams since 2009.

Well his contract sounds big but it's not. His first two years are $7m. Then $10m increasing by 500,000 each year. Last year is $12m a year. Hell, this year alone he's right there for paying for himself.. I know it's after the fact.. but he's gonna be a steal for the White Soxs.

I don't think his contract was out of line at all. Just that the O's wouldn't be willing to pay near that much.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/04/quick-hits-intl-scouting-morales-olt-taveras-pitching-tandems.html

According to this, we've already been in close contact with Morales, so I don't think it would be a sudden desperation move... it would just be the thing that finally gets us to concede to his demands since we need a 1B more than ever now. I'm viewing his injury as a blessing in disguise since it could end up making us a better team in the long run.

What would you do with Davis when he comes back? Morales to 2nd? Sorry I just

don't think signing him is the way for the team to go. IMO

What would you do with Davis when he comes back? Morales to 2nd? Sorry I just

don't think signing him is the way for the team to go. IMO

They were already considering signing him BEFORE the injury, so they obviously have a plan. Morales to DH and Cruz to LF, I'd assume.

I would like to see Clevenger get some more at bats and Buck has said he can play first. Other then him just put Nick there some days and get demon young in as the dh

I don't think it'll happen, but I'd be interested to hear Christian Walker's name in the mix. He's inexperienced, but he's also 23. Not necessarily too young to have a cup of coffee.

Archived