If Davis is out for any extended period of time, signing Morales becomes a no brainer

AlbionHero

In my opinion, yes. He's an impact bat. I can't imagine it would be that expensive for a partial year.

But he can't really play first base and he definitely can't play the outfield. If we get him, I'll cheer for him. I suspect we do not have interest.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion, yes. He's an impact bat. I can't imagine it would be that expensive for a partial year.

He's not an "impact" bat though; he's a DH that's OPS'd around .785 over the last two seasons, and historically he hasn't been that great against lefties. At best, he'd be a moderate upgrade over Pearce/Young; at worst, he won't be in real live game shape until July.

Only way I see the Os signing Morales is if they felt they could get good return for Cruz come deadline time.

Once they would get Davis back I don't see them playing Cruz everyday of OF just so Morales could DH. And I don't see them giving Morales 5 mil (which it would prolly take) for half a season as a matchup guy.

He's not an "impact" bat though; he's a DH that's OPS'd around .785 over the last two seasons, and historically he hasn't been that great against lefties. At best, he'd be a moderate upgrade over Pearce/Young; at worst, he won't be in real live game shape until July.

Yeah, disagree. I'm on my mobile but the last time I ran this his 123 OPS+ would equate to about a 840 raw OPS in our park/division. He's been vastly superior to Young/Pearce and that's not even considering the platoon splits and the fact that most pitchers are right handed.

Young is terrible. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting below .250 pretty soon. Inflated BABIP and terrible (even by our standards) plate discipline.

Dan Duquette made it clear (to Roch Kubatko and company) that the Orioles ARE NOT interested or pursuing 1B/DH type players at this time.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch

Who knows whos telling the truth or not? Telling the media you're not interested in those types of players is a tried and true bargaining chip, since it shows Boras there isn't desperation.

Regardless, we now have a spot on the 40 man roster so there is going to be a lot of questions surrounding who takes that new spot, centered around Morales.

That tweet isn't DD talking to Roch, that is Roch reporting what Bowden said he thought DD said when he and Duq XM interviewed DD just now. I heard the interview, and I didn't hear it that way. All in all though I tend to take DD at his word over a Boras shill.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Audio: Dan Duquette says they've not talked to Scott Boras about Kendrys Morales since signing Nelson Cruz <a href="https://t.co/zgjA82x74L">https://t.co/zgjA82x74L</a></p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">May 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you take account of the chuckles, the pauses, and the statement "I don't think it's a good idea to talk about players that we don't have", I'd say that adds up to a "no comment".

Exactly right. Amazing that the MLB commentators took that to mean the "Orioles are clearly not in on Morales". I thought the extension talks comment from DD was more clear (but not surprisi g) enlightening though. Basically "We tried but there wasn't any common ground". Also the clarity about dumping JJ was interesting.

Dan Duquette made it clear (to Roch Kubatko and company) that the Orioles ARE NOT interested or pursuing 1B/DH type players at this time.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch

Who knows whos telling the truth or not? Telling the media you're not interested in those types of players is a tried and true bargaining chip, since it shows Boras there isn't desperation.

Regardless, we now have a spot on the 40 man roster so there is going to be a lot of questions surrounding who takes that new spot, centered around Morales.

We will see which one of you has the better perspective very shortly. I suspect that it is no negotiation, myself.

Exactly right. Amazing that the MLB commentators took that to mean the "Orioles are clearly not in on Morales". I thought the extension talks comment from DD was more clear (but not surprisi g) enlightening though. Basically "We tried but there wasn't any common ground". Also the clarity about dumping JJ was interesting.

The extension comments were surprisingly direct. I'm not sure I take the Morales comments the same way as y'all do, though. It sounded to me like DD was chuckling at the way the question was asked, and bringing up the fact that the O's have multiple players with similar skill sets seemed to throw cold water on the Morales idea, especially since DD sounds optimistic that Davis will return sooner rather than later. If anything, it sounds like they've probably talked to Morales' camp, but Davis' successful return would make a Morales signing unnecessary.

Archived