If Davis is out for any extended period of time, signing Morales becomes a no brainer

AlbionHero

Exactly right. Amazing that the MLB commentators took that to mean the "Orioles are clearly not in on Morales". I thought the extension talks comment from DD was more clear (but not surprisi g) enlightening though. Basically "We tried but there wasn't any common ground". Also the clarity about dumping JJ was interesting.
All you have to do is read MLB commentators to mean Jim Blowdown and then you understand. DD was non committal about Morales. I take that to mean it is an option he isn't quite ready to rule out. I would also not lump Hardy in with Davis and Wieters, re: extension. We tried before and didn't get anywhere applies more to those two. Also what do Wieters Davis and Morales have in commo?...Scott Boras. Where did all the Morales rumors stem from. Boras's stooge. I think DD was talking mostly to Boras in this interview.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All you have to do is read MLB commentators to mean Jim Blowdown and then you understand. DD was non committal about Morales. I take that to mean it is an option he isn't quite ready to rule out. I would also not lump Hardy in with Davis and Wieters, re: extension. We tried before and didn't get anywhere applies more to those two. Also what do Wieters Davis and Morales have in commo?...Scott Boras. Where did all the Morales rumors stem from. Boras's stooge. I think DD was talking mostly to Boras in this interview.

I think it is the only way that Dan talks with Scott during the season. And He doesn't talk with him much outside of the season. It rarely works out for a GM to do so. When was the last time that a Boras deal worked out for a team?

They have scored 3 runs or less in 17 of 29 games this season. They need all the offensive help they can get.

Which can only come from what is already on the team. The problems run far deeper than Davis being out, and Morales won't fix it. Jones is not hitting. Machado will hit, but he's got more rust on him than an old fence. Hardy's not hitting, and contrary to anything Roy might think, I don't believe Schoop is the answer right now. So basically right now it's Markakis, Wieters, and Cruz holding the fort, and at any time all three of them can go in a funk. Davis doesn't solve that, Morales doesn't solve that, not when the sum of the rest of the parts can't get it together.

They have scored 3 runs or less in 17 of 29 games this season. They need all the offensive help they can get.

Morales would replace Young/Lough and keep Cruz in the OF. That would be bad for the defense, as we saw today, and Young is hitting .320 right now in limited opportunities. Why are you so sure that Morales, who hasn't played in a ML game since last year, would not not just out-produce the O's current DH options, but so substantially out-produce those options as to justify keeping Cruz in the field?

Morales was pretty good over the last couple of years. Pretty good, not great. The last time he OPS'ed above .787 was in 2010 (before his injury). And now he has seven months of rust on him. Saying the O's "need" Morales is pretty strong language that requires equally strong justification.

Morales would replace Young/Lough and keep Cruz in the OF. That would be bad for the defense, as we saw today, and Young is hitting .320 right now in limited opportunities. Why are you so sure that Morales, who hasn't played in a ML game since last year, would not not just out-produce the O's current DH options, but so substantially out-produce those options as to justify keeping Cruz in the field?

Morales was pretty good over the last couple of years. Pretty good, not great. The last time he OPS'ed above .787 was in 2010 (before his injury). And now he has seven months of rust on him. Saying the O's "need" Morales is pretty strong language that requires equally strong justification.

Young is terrible. He should never see the light of day against RHP's. He is awful! He is over performing right now and will have an OBP well under .300 soon enough.

Young is terrible. He should never see the light of day against RHP's. He is awful! He is over performing right now and will have an OBP well under .300 soon enough.

Young is simultaneously overperforming and awful? I think it's safe to say that doesn't answer the above questions.

Which can only come from what is already on the team. The problems run far deeper than Davis being out, and Morales won't fix it. Jones is not hitting. Machado will hit, but he's got more rust on him than an old fence. Hardy's not hitting, and contrary to anything Roy might think, I don't believe Schoop is the answer right now. So basically right now it's Markakis, Wieters, and Cruz holding the fort, and at any time all three of them can go in a funk. Davis doesn't solve that, Morales doesn't solve that, not when the sum of the rest of the parts can't get it together.

You're right. If Hardy and Jones don't pick it up this team is going nowhere. They are both OPS'ing about .200 points less than what they should. Once Manny gets going that will help. Same when Davis gets back. If they aren't bringing in a guy like Morales, I think they need to have Lough play every day against RHP's. His defense is awesome and he's a better hitter than this.

Young is simultaneously overperforming and awful? I think it's safe to say that doesn't answer the above questions.

He is not an answer. He's a short term fix only because he's vastly overperforming. He simply isn't good. His BABIP is over .400 and his numbers for a DH aren't even great. He doesn't hit for power. He has no speed. He's terrible defensively. He strikes out alot. He doesn't walk.

I'd rather see Lough play in his spot and turn it around then have Young hitting way over his head because even when Young is over performing and Lough isn't hitting at all, they're virtually equal in value.

The extension comments were surprisingly direct. I'm not sure I take the Morales comments the same way as y'all do, though. It sounded to me like DD was chuckling at the way the question was asked, and bringing up the fact that the O's have multiple players with similar skill sets seemed to throw cold water on the Morales idea, especially since DD sounds optimistic that Davis will return sooner rather than later. If anything, it sounds like they've probably talked to Morales' camp, but Davis' successful return would make a Morales signing unnecessary.

That's how it sounded to me, also.

I guess we'll find out soon enough, when we see what team's uniform that Morales is wearing when he makes his 2014 season debut.

The extension comments were surprisingly direct. I'm not sure I take the Morales comments the same way as y'all do, though. It sounded to me like DD was chuckling at the way the question was asked, and bringing up the fact that the O's have multiple players with similar skill sets seemed to throw cold water on the Morales idea, especially since DD sounds optimistic that Davis will return sooner rather than later. If anything, it sounds like they've probably talked to Morales' camp, but Davis' successful return would make a Morales signing unnecessary.

Yeah, I took the "similar skill sets comment" to be an analysis of Young and Pearce and nothing to do with Morales.

I agree with this ...there are moves that can be made. If you could get Morales and bring Lombo back up and send down Schoop and Flaherty. That would help quite a bit.

This post is complete rubbish. I nearly never Neg rep (and won't here but it's certainly worthy). Young has been in the league 8 seasons and has a career .316 OBP. He's never had a season under .296. Perhaps you should look before sticking foot in mouth.:mwahaha:

It's called baseball reference

Archived